Date: 28 July 2010
The School will continue to strengthen its research, education, enterprise and professional practice capability in tourism, hospitality, retail, leisure, sport and events.
It will also develop stronger links with the tourism industry and other relevant national and international business to foster research and enterprise opportunities.
The new School will continue to build on the many achievements made in recent years. Some of these include:
- establishing the John Kent Institute in Tourism
- appointing a number of leading academics including tourism experts Professor Alan Fyall, Professor Adam Blake and Professor Dimitrios Buhalis
- achieving the number five spot for hospitality (including Leisure, Tourism and Sport) in this year’s Complete University league table
- undertaking an Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) funded research project into sport tourism and events
- establishing a Motor Sport Research Group
- contributing to the tenth Global Travel & Tourism Summit in Beijing
- working with small and medium-sized hotels in Europe to develop a management system to support internet services
- undertaking an impact study on the London 2012 Olympics and research into sport participation and spectatorship.