Information we collect and hold about you
We collect and hold information provided by you through:
- your application form, Equality Monitoring form and other information you provide to us through the application and recruitment process; and
- if appointed, we will collect additional personal information in the course of your job-related activities throughout your engagement with us.
We will also obtain information about you in other ways, for example from third parties such as the Disclosure and Barring Service, the Higher Education Statistics Agency, the UK Visas and Immigration service (part of the Home Office), any recruitment agent acting on your behalf and from people you identify as referees in your application form. Where data protection legislation applies to these third parties, they should provide separate privacy information which covers their sharing of your data with BU.
If appointed, you will provide and BU will receive data about you in respect of the work you undertake for us and your communications with BU staff, students and other individuals as part of your role at BU.
The data we collect about you includes the following categories:
- Recruitment information (including your name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses; qualifications and work experience, copies of right to work documentation, references and other information included in your application form, Equality Monitoring forms, a CV or cover letter or as part of the application process).
- Date of birth;
- bank details and information about your tax status and pension;
- Marital status and dependants;
- Proof of your identity, qualifications and right to work
- National Insurance number;
- HESA Identification Number (if previously employed by a Higher Education Institution);
- Emergency next of kin contact details;
- Start date and, if different, the date of your continuous employment; and
- Location of employment or workplace.
- Information relating to your salary, annual leave, pension, benefits and any other payments between you and us.
- If you drive a vehicle on BU business, a record of you having a valid driving licence and business insurance cover.
- Employment records (including job titles, work history, working hours, variations to terms and conditions, flexi-time, leave, sabbaticals, career breaks, paternity, maternity, adoption and other family leave, training records - including details of whether you have completed mandatory BU training relevant to your post at BU – and any professional memberships).
- Appraisal information.
- Pay progression and/or promotion information.
- Information relating to any matters or complaints raised and investigated under BU Policy, such as the Absence Management Policy, Dignity and Respect (Harassment) Policy, Disciplinary Procedure, Grievance Procedure and Performance Framework (Support and Development).
- CCTV footage and other information obtained through electronic means such as smart card records.
- Information about your use of our information and communications systems.
- Your communications with BU staff, BU students and other people (including any opinions about you or made by you about another person).
- When you leave BU, your leaving date and your reason for leaving including any notes from the exit interview.
- Any Settlement Agreement which may be in place with regard to ending your employment.
- Redundancy information.
- Dismissal information.
- Details of any request you make to us and our handling of it, such as under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or under the data protection laws.
- Information relating to proposed or actual litigation involving you and BU.
Special Category and criminal convictions data
The data we hold about you also includes some special category and criminal offences data, which is subject to extra protections under data protection laws. These are identified below and explained in sections 4 and 5 of this Notice:
- Information about criminal convictions and offences.
- Information about your race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions.
- Trade union membership.
- Information about your health, including any medical condition, health and sickness records, including:
- occupational health referrals;
- where you leave employment and the reason for leaving is determined to be ill-health, injury or disability, the records relating to that decision;
- information required for medical physicians and / or pension providers; and
- details of any absences (other than holidays) from work including time on sick leave, statutory / family leave.