The Department of Leadership, Strategy and Organisations conducts research with social, organisational and business impact across a spectrum of disciplines and in particular at the intersections between them. We are interested in hearing from candidates for research studies or organisations seeking research and training in:
Leadership - Practical leadership work, analysis of top management teams, and the work of boards of directors.
Strategy - Small businesses, entrepreneurship, business innovation and social enterprise, and in particular how businesses manage and govern activities that cross organisational boundaries.
Organisations - Our studies range from the creation of pro-social workplaces to the conceptualisation of the corporate form.
The department has strengths in both qualitative and quantitative approaches, and in linking theoretical perspectives from business networks and organisational ecosystems, organisational behaviour and human resources management, the resource-based view, critical management studies, institutional theory and hybrid organisations.
For enquiries about working with us, contact:
- Dr Lois Farquharson, for leadership studies and how it applies in public organisations, small businesses and larger organisations.
- Professor Dean Patton, for in small and early stage businesses, their strategies and methods of operation.
- Dr Donald Nordberg, for corporate governance, the board's role in strategy, and the impact of the changing nature of firms and ownership and how they affect the processes of top management.
- Dr David Jones, for social responsibility and sustainability questions and critical management studies around institutions in higher education.
- Dr Gbola Gbadamosi and Dr Jens Mohrenweiser, about organisational behaviour and human resource management, particularly policy to foster the development of pro-social behaviour in organisations. We have a special focus on dealing with large data-sets.
- Dr Nigel Williams, about Virtual Communities of Interest around temporary activities such as projects and events and project management in differing contexts including emerging markets.