Within the Department of Communication & Journalism, we have outstanding links to industry, ensuring our courses remain relevant and that you’re well prepared for a role in the fast-paced world of media.
We work closely with a number of leading media organisations, including:
- BBC Academy – we are one of just two institutions to deliver education and training to BBC employees
- Adobe – we work in partnership with Adobe to ensure all our staff and students are confident using the latest industry-standard software
- Apple – as an Apple authorised training centre, we offer the Apple Introduction to Final Cut Pro course, allowing you to train as an Apple Certified Pro.
Our journalism courses are accredited by the three main industry bodies – BJTC, NCTJ and PPA – and we were the first institution in the UK to have our journalism courses accredited by all of these organisations. This recognition demonstrates the quality of teaching and the relevance of our course content in this competitive sector.
- BJTC – the Broadcast Journalism Training Council is a partnership between the main UK employers in the broadcast industry. Any course with BJTC accreditation is highly valued thanks to the direct practical experience it provides students
- NCTJ – the National Council for the Training of Journalists delivers the premier journalism training scheme in the UK. We incorporate the preliminary qualifications in newspaper and magazine journalism, media law, public affairs and shorthand into the BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism degree, allowing you to leave with industry-recognised qualifications in addition to your degree
- PPA – the Professional Publishers Association is the leading body for best practice in training, development and people management for the magazine industry. PPA accreditation means the course meets their rigorous standards for magazine journalism.
Marketing Communications and Advertising accreditations
All of our undergraduate Marketing Communications courses are accredited by the CIM, the world’s largest organisation for professional marketers. When you study one of our accredited courses you will graduate with an internationally recognised and industry-proven qualification, as well as gaining exemption from entry-level qualifications of the CIM Professional Marketing Qualifications.
Other accrediting bodies across our Marketing Communications and Advertising courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level – depending on focus areas – include the Institute of Practitioners in Advertising, the Institute of Data and Marketing (IDM), the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, European Association of Communication Agencies, D&AD, and the Branded Content Marketing Association (BCMA).