This page lists some of the main areas that you should consider when thinking about the use of non-supported tools. We do not want to put you off using such tools but, instead, to make you aware of the many issues that can come with their use.
- Will user details be stored within this tool?
- Will users need to create their own accounts to access the tool?
- Is the data suitably secured against unauthorised access?
- Is the level of access control adequate? Can users control what people have access to at a sufficient level?
- Users must not provide the same credentials as their University Login.
- Will the tool remain available for the rest of the term?
- What happens if the tool is removed or shut down?
- Will the content created with the tool remain available for a suitable amount of time?
Data retention and lock-in
- Can the content be downloaded and archived?
- Do you need to retain the content created with this tool for assessment?
- Can the data be transferred to another service?
- Can the data be removed if required?
Performance and reliability
- Is the tool reliable?
- What would the impact be if the tool became temporarily unavailable?
- Is the provider able to respond to performance issues?
Privacy and confidentiality
- What is the service provider's policy about disclosing your data?
- Is the content publicly available on the web?
- Should the content be private?
Ownership of data
- Does the service provider take ownership?
- Is this research information or otherwise valuable intellectual property?
- Is the data subject to General Public license or Creative Commons License?
- Will the tool be available to all of your students?
- Will the tool be usable by all of your students?
Support and training
- Does this tool work on University computers?
- Does the tool require a program to be installed on the desktop?
- Is support offered by the provider?
- Will the students require training to use the tool?
- Are your students aware that a non-supported tool is being used?
- Are colleagues and other stakeholders aware of the use of this tool?
To discuss your needs further, please speak to a learning Technologist or log a job with the Service Desk.