McCartney, I., 2020. The Archaeology of Second World War U-boat Losses in the English Channel and its Impact on the Historical Record. Mariners Mirror, 106 (1), 62-81.
McCartney, I., 2019. The Archaeology of First World War U-boat Losses in the English Channel and its Impact on the Historical Record. Mariners Mirror, 105 (2), 183-201.
McCartney, I., 2018. Scuttled in the Morning: the discoveries and surveys of HMS Warrior and HMS Sparrowhawk, the Battle of Jutland's last missing shipwrecks. International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, 47 (2), 253-266.
McCartney, I., 2018. Paying the Prize for the German Submarine War: U-boats destroyed and the Admiralty Prize Fund, 1919-1932. Mariners Mirror, 104 (1), 40-57.
McCartney, I., 2017. The Opening and Closing Sequences of the Battle of Jutland 1916 Re-examined: archaeological investigations of the wrecks of HMS Indefatigable and SMS V4. International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, 46 (2), 317-329.
McCartney, I., 2019, Scapa 1919 The Archaeology of a Scuttled Fleet, Osprey Publishing.
McCartney, I.J., 2016, Jutland 1916: The Archaeology of a Naval Battlefield.
McCartney, I.J., 2014, The Maritime Archaeology of a Modern Conflict: Comparing the Archaeology of German Submarine Wrecks to the Historical Text.
McCartney, I.J., 2003, Lost Patrols: Submarine Wrecks of the English Channel.
McCartney, I.J., 2006, British Submarines 1939-45.
McCartney, I.J., 2015. The "Tin Openers" Myth and Reality: Intelligence from U-boat Wrecks During WW1. In: HDS Conference 2014 1 November 2014 Poole.
McCartney, I.J., 2018. The Archaeology of WW1 U-boat Losses in the English Channel and its Impact on the Historical Record. In: Underwater Cultural Heritage Forum 2018 4 December 2018 , Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Berlin.
McCartney, I.J., 2017. Maritime Battlefield Archaeology of WW1: Studies from the U-boat Campaign and the Battle of Jutland. In:.
McCartney, I.J., 2017. Jutland 1916: The Archaeology of a Naval Battlefield. In:.
McCartney, I.J., 2016. Modern Maritime Battlefield Archaeology:. In:.
- Echoes from the Deep: Modern Reflections on our Maritime Past. (The Leverhulme Trust, 1 January 2018). In Progress
Outreach & engagement
- Society for Nautical Research, Editorial board of The Mariner's Mirrror (2017)
- Society for Nautical Research, Reviews Editor of Mariner's Mirror (2018)
- BBC News, Interviewed about how I identified the U-boat UB82 off the Wigtownshire coast on behalf of Scottish Power who had found the wreck during a predisturbance survey.
- Live from the Shipwreck of HMS Tarpon, A three-hour live broadcast from the wreck of HMS Tarpon which we had just found. I was touring the wreck with a ROV and giving a real-time live commentary to a studio audience.