National Student Money Week 2021 takes place between 8 and 12 February and is the biggest money awareness week of the year. This annual campaign helps to bring free money advice to students across the UK and this year we’re focusing on ways you can manage your finances to expect the unexpected so you can save for a brighter day.
Our BU Money Advice Team and SUBU Advice have arranged a series of events giving you the opportunity to meet with money advice experts and get external financial advice on gambling awareness and digital fraud and scams.
External agencies also share useful resources that may help with your financial planning whilst at university. It is worth giving these a read throughout the week:
- UCAS detail ten things you need to know about saving money whilst at university – from managing an overdraft, making the most of student deals to checking if you’re covered by your parents’ home insurance - these savvy tips will help you save money if you are living away from home.
- Save the Student share a comprehensive list of 83 practical ways to save money as a student, showing how easy it is to get discounts and freebies when you know where to look
- The Money Saving Expert is always a good website to check for all your finance needs. This article gives advice on how to financially prepare before you go to university
- Read the new edition of Student Money Matters magazine with lots of tips to help you stay finance savvy.
Get involved this week
Come along to the following virtual events to find out more about maintaining your finances:
Financial support from BU
To help students who have been financially impacted by Covid-19, BU has introduced two new funds which are now open for application:
- The BU Accommodation Support Fund is intended to support BU students who are in accommodation where no rent rebate, credit, grant or reduction is currently being offered. The deadline to apply is 12 February 2021 – find out if you’re eligible to apply.
- The BU Covid-19 Impact Support Fund is intended to support BU students who are being financially impacted by the coronavirus pandemic and who have lost income due to Covid-19. The fund is open to all students who are actively engaged with their studies and enrolled at BU. The deadline to apply is 15 March 2021 - find out if you’re eligible to apply.
We’ve put together some helpful information about financial guidance during Covid-19. You can also check the other financial support available from BU and external partners. If you have any queries, please contact our AskBU team.