The interdisciplinary research group for neuroscience at Bournemouth University was founded in 2014 as a network embodying researchers in the fields of cognitive, social, systems and computational neuroscience, translational genetics and cognitive neuropsychology from the Faculty of Science and Technology, Health and Social Sciences and collaborating institutions.
Over the last few years Bournemouth University has recruited staff in the fields of cognitive and social psychology, cognitive neuroscience and systems and computational neuroscience. On top of this investment in people, BU has provided neuroscientific equipment including Electro-encephalography (EEG), Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) systems, eye trackers and translational generics labs; and also established links with local hospitals to gain access to Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanners. Neuroscience is now represented strongly at Bournemouth University, and is becoming one of the major directions of BU research.
The research network is designed to provide innovative approaches for identifying the neural underpinnings of cognitive processing. To achieve this goal, we use a wide range of multidisciplinary approaches spanning from behavioural experiments, eye-tracking, EEG, fMRI, tDCS, genetics and in vivo electrophysiology to neurocomputational modelling. In addition, we further foster neuroscience research by developing graduate and post-graduate programs, holding symposiums and workshops, running seminars and by encouraging the application of neuroscientific methods to various research fields spanning across disciplines.
The Neuroscience research centre at Bournemouth University is comprised of and is supported by a series of research laboratories with expertise in cognitive psychology, social psychology, psycholinguistics, human electrophysiology, generics and neuroimaging. The research topics include visual attention and memory, social attention (interpersonal processes), way-finding processing, cognitive control, neurolinguistics, psychiatric genetics and computational neuroscience.
The use neuroimaging and neurophysiological recordings is a fundamental tool in neuroscience which enables us to understand the normal and altered flow of information in the brain. Neurocomputational approaches can establish causal links between processing levels ranging from neuronal activities to ensemble responses, and then to higher cognitive functions.
Towards this goal, our laboratories are equipped with a 64-channel EEG system, cutting-edge eye-tracking, translational genetics equipment and tDCS. Furthermore, we have multiple collaborations with British and international institutions which provide access to MRI, fMRI, state-of-the-art MEG scanners and in-vivo multi-array cell and optical recording systems.
- Neural mechanisms of navigation and wayfinding
- Cognitive and neural mechanisms underlying cognitive control
- Clinical Neuropsychology
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Computational Intelligence
- Translational Psychiatric Genetics
- Emotion and emotion regulation
- Autism spectrum conditions
- Social facets of cognition: interpersonal processes
- Computational Neuroscience
Arabacı, G. and Parris, B.A. (2019). Inattention and task switching performance: the role of predictability, working memory load and goal neglect. Psychological Research.
Augustinova, M., Parris, B.A. and Ferrand, L. (2019). The loci of stroop interference and facilitation effects with manual and vocal responses. Frontiers in Psychology 10, 1786.
Coutrot, A., Schmidt, S., Coutrot, L., Pittman, J., Hong, L., Wiener, J.M., Hölscher, C., Dalton, R.C., Hornberger, M. and Spiers, H.J. (2019). Virtual navigation tested on a mobile app is predictive of real-world wayfinding navigation performance. PLoS ONE, 14 (3).
Grisoni, L., Moseley, R., Motlagh, S., Kandia, D., Sener, N., Pulvermuller, F., Roepke, S. and Mohr, B. (2019). Prediction and Mismatch negativity responses reflect impairments in action semantic processing in adults with autism spectrum disorders. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2019.00395.
- Grzeschik, R., Conroy-Dalton, R., Innes, A., Shanker, S. and Wiener, J. (2019). The contribution of visual attention and declining verbal memory abilities to age-related route learning deficits. Cognition.
- Goldway, N., Charles, F. et al. (2019). Volitional limbic neuromodulation exerts a beneficial clinical effect on Fibromyalgia. NeuroImage, 186, 758-770.
Hasshim, N., Downes, M., Bate, S. and Parris, B.A. (2019). Response Time Distribution Analysis of Semantic and Response Interference in a Manual Response Stroop Task. Experimental Psychology 66 (3), 231-238.
Hilton, C., Miellet, S., Slattery, T. and Wiener, J. (2019). Are age-related deficits in route learning related to control of visual attention? Psychological Research (in press).
Hillus, J., Moseley, R., Roepke, S. and Mohr, B. Action semantic deficits are associated with impaired motor skills in autistic adults without intellectual impairment. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 13:256. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2019.00256.
Husted, M., Seiss, E. and Banks, A.P. (2019). The relationship between dietary restraint and deficits in reasoning about causes of obesity. Psychology and Health 34(12):1504-1522.
Li, H., Li, G., Lin, L., Yu, H. and Yu, Y. (2019). Context-aware semantic inpainting, Context-aware semantic inpainting. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 49 (12), 4398-4411.
Li ,Q., Meso, A.I., Logothetis, N.K. and Keliris, G.A. (2019). Scene Regularity Interacts With Individual Biases to Modulate Perceptual Stability. Frontiers in Neuroscience 13:523.
- Masson, G.S., Gekas, N., Meso, A.I., Simoncini, C. and Mamassian, P. (2019). Dynamic non-linear interactions serving speed estimation inferred from channel interactions during ocular following. Journal of Vision 19 (10), 167b-167b.
- Moldovan, R. et al. (2019). Psychiatric genetic counseling: A mapping exercise. American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics. 10.1002/ajmg.b.32735.
- Moseley, R.L., Gregory, N.J., Smith, P., Allison, C. and Baron-Cohen, S. (2019). A 'choice', an 'addiction', a way 'out of the lost': Exploring self-injury in autistic people without intellectual disability. Molecular Autism, 10 (1).
- Muffato, V., Hilton, C., Meneghetti, C., De Beni, R. and Wiener, J.M. (2019). Evidence for age-related deficits in object-location binding during place recognition. Hippocampus 29 (10), 1098-1063.
- Parris, B.A. (2019). Clinical Applications of Self-Hypnosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Controlled Trials. Psychology of Consciousness, in press.
- Parris, B.A., Sharma, D., Weekes, B.S., Momenian, M., Augustinova, M. and Ferrand, L. (2019). Response modality and the Stroop task: Are there phonological Stroop effects with a manual response? Experimental Psychology.
Parris, B.A., Wadsley, M.G., Hasshim, N., Benatayallah, A., Augustinova, M. and Ferrand, L., (2019). An fMRI study of response and semantic conflict in the Stroop task. Frontiers in Psychology 10:2426.
Pavarini, G., Sun, R., Mahmoud, M., Cross, I., Schnall, S., Fischer, A., Deakin, J., Ziauddeen, H., Kogan, A. and Vuillier, L. (2019). The Role of Oxytocin in the Facial Mimicry of Affiliative vs. Non-Affiliative Emotions. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2019.104377.
Sun, R., Vuillier, L., Hui, B.P.H. and Kogan, A. (2019). Caring Helps: Trait Empathy is Related to Better Coping Strategies and Differs in the Poor vs the Rich. PLoS ONE. 10.1371/journal.pone.0213142/
- Tabas, A., Andermann, M., Riedel, H., Balaguer-Ballester, E. and Rupp, A. (joint last) (2019). Modeling and MEG evidence of early consonance processing in auditory cortex. PLoS Computational Biology 15(2):e1006820.
Thompson, S.B.N. (2019). Possible prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Neurology & Neurological Sciences, 2 (1), 1-2.
Wiener, J.M., Carroll, D., Moeller, S., Bibi, I., Ivanova, D., Allen, P. and Wolbers, T. (2019). A novel virtual-reality-based route-learning test suite: Assessing the effects of cognitive aging on navigation. Research Methods. 10.3758/s13428-019-01264-8.
Zhang, Y., Yuan, Y.-F., He, X. and Zhang, G.-L. (2019). Bottom-up and top-down factors of motion direction learning transfer. Consciousness and Cognition, 74, 102780.
- Antonini, A., Seiss, E. et al. (2018). Acceptability to patients, carers and clinicians of an mHealth platform for the management of Parkinson’s disease (PD-Manager): Study protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial 11 Medical and Health Sciences 1117 Public Health and Health Services. Trials, 19 (1).
- Arabaci, G. and Parris, B.A. (2018). Probe-caught spontaneous and deliberate mind wandering in relation to self-reported inattentive, hyperactive and impulsive traits in adults. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 8.
- Balaguer-Ballester, E., Moreno-Bote, R., Deco, G. and Durstewitz, D. Metastable Dynamics of Neural Ensembles. Frontiers Media, (2018), ISBN 978-2-88945-437-2, 151p.
- Lokka, I.E., Çöltekin, A., Wiener, J., Fabrikant, S.I. and Röcke, C. (2018). Virtual environments as memory training devices in navigational tasks for older adults. Scientific Reports, 8 (1).
- Michailidis, L., Balaguer-Ballester, E. and He, X. (2018). Flow and immersion in video games: The aftermath of a conceptual challenge. Frontiers in Psychology, 9 (SEP).
- Moseley, R.L., Hitchiner, R. and Kirkby, J.A. (2018). Self-reported sex differences in high-functioning adults with autism: A meta-analysis. Molecular Autism, 9 (1).
- Moseley, R. and Pulvermuller, F. (2018). What can autism teach us about the role of sensorimotor systems in higher cognition? New clues from studies on language, action semantics, and abstract emotional concept processing. Cortex, In press.
- Moseley, R.L., Hitchiner, R. and Kirkby, J.A. (2018). Self-reported sex differences in high-functioning adults with autism: A meta-analysis. Molecular Autism, 9 (1).
- O’Malley, M., Innes, A., Muir, S. and Wiener, J.M. (2018). ‘All the corridors are the same’: A qualitative study of the orientation experiences and design preferences of UK older adults living in a communal retirement development. Ageing and Society, 38 (9), 1791-1816.
- O’Malley, M., Innes, A. and Wiener, J.M. (2018). How do we get there? Effects of cognitive aging on route memory. MEMORY & COGNITION, 46 (2), 274-284.
- Ring, M., Gaigg, S.B., de Condappa, O., Wiener, J.M. and Bowler, D.M. (2018). Spatial navigation from same and different directions: The role of executive functions, memory and attention in adults with autism spectrum disorder. Autism Research.
- Thau-Zuchman, O., Gomez, A.-R., Dyall, S., Tremoleda, J.L., Davies, M., Priestley, J.V., Groenendijk, M., De Wilde, M.C. and Michael-Titus, A. (2018). Brain phospholipid precursors administered post-injury reduce tissue damage and improve neurological outcome in experimental traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2018). Elevation of cortisol levels by ingesting liquorice. Clinical Research in Neurology, 1 (1), 1-4.
- Thompson, S.B.N., Coleman, A. and Williams, N. (2018). Yawn and cortisol levels in multiple sclerosis: potential new diagnostic tool. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders, 23, 51-55.
- Vacher, J., Meso, A.I., Perrinet, L.U. and Peyré, G., 2018. Bayesian modeling of motion perception using dynamical stochastic textures. Neural Computation, 30 (12), 3355-3392.
- Zhang, G.-L., Li, A.-S., Miao, C.-G., He, X., Zhang, M. and Zhang, Y. (2018). A consumer-grade LCD monitor for precise visual stimulation. Behavior Research Methods, 1-7.
- Balaguer-Ballester, E. (2017). Cortical Variability and Challenges for Modelling Approaches. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, 11 (15).
- Bobak, A.K., Bennetts, R.J., Parris, B.A., Jansari, A. and Bate, S. (2017). An in-depth cognitive examination of individuals with superior face recognition skills . Cortex, 89, 175-176.
- Bobak, A.K., Parris, B.A., Gregory, N.J., Bennetts, R.J. and Bate, S. (2017). Eye-movement strategies in developmental prosopagnosia and “super” face recognition. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 70 (2), 201-217.
- Cavazza, M., Aranyi, G. and Charles, F., 2017. BCI control of heuristic search algorithms. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, 11.
- Dyall, S.C., (2017). Interplay between n-3 and n-6 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and the endocannabinoid system in brain protection and repair. Lipids. USSN: 1558-9307 (Online).
- Edworthy, J., Reid, S., McDougall, S., Edworthy, J., Hall, S., Bennett, D., Khan, J. and Pye, E. (2017). The Recognizability and Localizability of Auditory Alarms: Setting Global Medical Device Standards. Human Factors, 18720817712004.
- Forder, L., Bosten, J., He, X. and Franklin, A. (2017). A neural signature of the unique hues. Scientific Reports 7, 42364.
- Forder, L., He, X. and Franklin, A. (2017). Colour categories are reflected in sensory stages of colour perception when stimulus issues are resolved. PLoS ONE, 12 (5), e0178097.
- Gekas, N., Meso, A.I., Masson, G.S. and Mamassian, P. (2017). A Normalization Mechanism for Estimating Visual Motion across Speeds and Scales. Current Biology, 27 (10), 1514-1520.e3.
- Grison, E., Gyselinck, V., Burkhardt, J.-M. and Wiener, J.M. (2017). Route planning with transportation network maps: an eye-tracking study. Psychological Research-PSYCHOLOGISCHE FORSCHUNG, 81 (5), 1020-1034.
- Hasshim, N. and Parris, B.A. (2017). Trial type mixing substantially reduces the response set effect in the Stroop task. Acta Psychol (Amst).
- Hartmeyer, S., Grzeschik, R., Wolbers, T. and Wiener, J.M. (2017). The Effects of Attentional Engagement on Route Learning Performance in a Virtual Environment: An Aging Study. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 9.
- Lester, A.W., Moffat, S.D., Wiener, J.M., Barnes, C.A. and Wolbers, T. (2017). The Aging Navigational System. NEURON, 95 (5), 1019-1035.
- Medathati, N.V.K., Rankin, J., Meso, A.I., Kornprobst, P. and Masson, G.S. (2017). Recurrent network dynamics reconciles visual motion segmentation and integration. Scientific Reports, 7 (1).
- Miller, J.K., McDougall, S., Thomas, S. and Wiener, J. (2017). The Impact of the Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor Gene on Trauma and Spatial Processing. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL MEDICINE, 6 (12).
- Miller, J.K., McDougall, S., Thomas, S. and Wiener, J.M. (2017). Impairment in active navigation from trauma and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 140, 114-123.
- Nogueira, R.*, Abolafia, J.*, Drugowitsch, J. Balaguer-Ballester, E., Sanchez-Vives, M.V. and Moreno-Bote, R. (2017). Lateral orbitofrontal cortex anticipates choices and integrates prior with current information. Nature Communications 8, 14823.
- O Malley, M., Innes, A. and Wiener, J.M. (2017). Decreasing spatial disorientation in care-home settings: How psychology can guide the development of dementia friendly design guidelines. Dementia, 16 (3), 315-328.
- O Malley, M., Innes, A. and Wiener, J.M. (2017). How do we get there? Effects of cognitive aging on route memory. Memory and Cognition, 1-11.
- O Malley, M., Innes, A., Muir, S. and Wiener, J.M. (2017). ‘All the corridors are the same’: a qualitative study of the orientation experiences and design preferences of UK older adults living in a communal retirement development. Ageing and Society, 1-26.
- Shanker, S. and Panikker, D. (2017). What Lies Beneath? An exploration of Secrets held by Urban Youth. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 106.
- Streletz, L.J., Khattab, A. et al. (2017). Epidemiology of Stroke in the MENA Region: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Neurology and Neurological Disorders, 1 (1), 10-21.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2017). Hypothesis to explain yawning, cortisol rise, brain cooling and motor cortex involvement of involuntary arm movement in neurologically impaired patients. Journal of Neurology & Neuroscience, 8 (1; 167), 1-5.
- Yamin, H.G., Gazit, T., Tchemodanov, N., Raz, G., Jackont, G., Charles, F., Fried, I., Hendler, T. and Cavazza, M. (2017). Depth Electrode Neurofeedback with a Virtual Reality Interface. Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI).
- Aranyi, G., Pecune, F., Charles, F., Pelachaud, C. and Cavazza, M., 2016. Affective interaction with a virtual character through an fNIRS brain-computer interface. Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, 10
- Bobak, A.K., Bennetts, R.J., Parris, B.A., Jansari, A. and Bate, S. (2016). An in-depth cognitive examination of individuals with superior face recognition skills. Cortex, 82, 48-62.
- Bobak, A.K., Parris, B.A., Gregory, N.J., Bennetts, R.J. and Bate, S. (2016). Eye-movement strategies in developmental prosopagnosia and “super” face recognition. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1-17.
- Cohen, A., Keynan, J.N., Jackont, G., Green, N., Rashap, I., Shani, O., Charles, F., Cavazza, M., Hendler, T. and Raz, G. (2016). Multi-modal Virtual Scenario Enhances Neurofeedback Learning. Frontiers in Robotics and AI, 3.
- Dyall, S.C., Mandhair, H.K., Fincham, R.E.A., Kerr, D.M., Roche, M. and Molina-Holgado, F. (2016). Distinctive effects of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids in regulating neural stem cell fate are mediated via endocannabinoid signalling pathways. Neuropharmacology, 107, 387-395.
- de Condappa, O. and Wiener, J. (2016). Human place and response learning: navigation strategy selection, pupil size and gaze behavior. Psychological Research, 80 (1), 82-93.
- Elisa, R.N., Balaguer-Ballester, E. and Parris, B.A. (2016). Inattention, Working Memory, and Goal Neglect in a Community Sample. Frontiers in psychology, 7, 1428.
- Gosling, A., Thoma, V., de Fockert, J.W. and Richardson-Klavehn, A. (2016). Event-related potential effects of object repetition depend on attention and part-whole configuration. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 10.
- Goldway, N., Ablin, J.N., Ben-Simon, E., Cavazza, M., Charles, F., Hendler, T. and Sharon, H. (2016). EEG-Neurofeedback targeting amygdala activity reduces disease impact and improves sleep in Patients with Fibromyalgia. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- Grison, E., Gyselinck, V., Burkhardt, J.M. and Wiener, J.M. (2016). Route planning with transportation network maps: an eye-tracking study. Psychological Research, 1-15.
- Husted, M., Banks, A.P. and Seiss, E. (2016). Eating behaviour associated with differences in conflict adaptation for food pictures. Appetite, 105, 630-637.
- Jones, E.L., Perring, S., Khattab, A. and Allenby-Smith, O. (2016). The effects of proton pump inhibitors on autonomic tone in patients with erosive and non-erosive esophagitis. Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 28 (5), 659-664.
- Lao, J., Miellet, S., Pernet, C., Sokhn, N. and Caldara, R. (2016). iMap4: An open source toolbox for the statistical fixation mapping of eye movement data with linear mixed modeling. Behavior Research Methods, 1-17.
- Lisofsky, N., Wiener, J., de Condappa, O., Gallinat, J., Lindenberger, U. and Kühn, S. (2016). Differences in navigation performance and postpartal striatal volume associated with pregnancy in humans. Neurobiology of learning and memory, 134, 400-407.
- Liu, M., He, X., Rotsthein, P. and Sui, J. (2016). Dynamically orienting your own face facilitates the automatic attraction of attention. Cognitive Neuroscience, 7 (1-4), 37-44.
- Meso, A., Rankin, J., Faugeras, O., Kornprobst, P. and Masson, G. (2016). The relative contribution of noise and adaptation to competition during tri-stable motion perception. Journal of Vision. 16(15):6, 1–24.
- Meso, A.I., Montagnini, A., Bell, J. and Masson, G.S. (2016). Looking for symmetry: Fixational eye movements are biased by image mirror symmetry. Journal of Neurophysiology, 116 (3), 1250-1260.
- Moseley, R.L., Correia, M.C., Baron-Cohen, S., Shtyrov, Y., Pulvermuller, F. and Mohr, B. (2016). Reduced volume of the arcuate fasciculus in adults with high-functioning autism spectrum conditions. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. DOI: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2016.04.006.
- Parris, B.A. (2016). The Role of Frontal Executive Functions in Hypnosis and Hypnotic Suggestibility. Psychology of Consciousness: Theory, Research and Practice, 3 (in press).
- Parris, B.A. (2016). The prefrontal cortex and suggestion: Hypnosis vs. Placebo effects. Frontiers in Psychology, 7 (MAR).
- Ramon, M., Miellet, S., Dzieciol, A.M., Konrad, B.N., Dresler, M. and Caldara, R. (2016). Super-memorizers are not super-recognizers. PLoS ONE, 11 (3).
- Streletz, L.J., Khattab, A. et al., 2017. Epidemiology of Stroke in the MENA Region: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Neurology and Neurological Disorders, 1 (1), 10-21.
- Tabas, A., Siebert, A., Supek, S., Pressnitzer, D., *Balaguer-Ballester, E. and *Rupp, A. (*shared last authorship) (2016). Insights on the neuromagnetic representation of temporal asymmetry in human auditory cortex. PLoS ONE 11 (4): e0153947. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0153947.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2016). Communicating with the motor cortex? Cortisol and yawning as possible biomarkers for the detection of neurological disease. Journal of Neurology & Neuroscience, 7 (53; 131), 1-3.
- Thompson, S.B.N., Daly, S., Le Blanche, A., Adibi, M., Belkhira, C. and de Marco, G. (2016). fMRI randomized study of mental and motor task performance and cortisol levels to potentiate cortisol as a new diagnostic biomarker. Journal of Neurology & Neuroscience, 7 (2; 92), 1-9.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2016). Saliva cortisol and yawning as a predictor of neurological disease. International Journal of Medical, Health, Biomedical, Bioengineering & Pharmaceutical Engineering, 10(4): 184-187, 10 (4), 184-187.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2016). Medical advances in diagnosing neurological and genetic disorders. International Science Index, 3 (6), 22.
- Towler, J., Gosling, A., Duchaine, B. and Eimer, M. (2016). Normal perception of Mooney faces in developmental prosopagnosia: Evidence from the N170 component and rapid neural adaptation. Journal of Neuropsychology, 10 (1), 15-32.
- Triviño, M., Correa, Á., Lupiáñez, J., Funes, M.J., Catena, A., He, X. and Humphreys, G.W. (2016). Brain networks of temporal preparation: A multiple regression analysis of neuropsychological data. NeuroImage. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2016.08.017. [Epub ahead of print].
- Vuillier, L., Bryce, D., Szucs, D. and Whitebread, D. (2016). The maturation of interference suppression and response inhibition: ERP analysis of a cued Go/Nogo task. PLoS One11(11): e0165697.
- Wang, R., Zeng, B. and Thompson, S.B.N. (2016). Auditory-visual perception of Mandarin lexical tones in AX same-different judgment task. International Speech Communication Association, 73-77.
- Ypma, R.J.F., Moseley, R. et al. (2016). Default mode hypoconnectivity underlies a sex-related autism spectrum. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging. DOI: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2016.04.006.
- Abutalebi, J., Guidi, L., Borsa, V., Canini, M., Della Rosa, P. A., Parris, B. A., and Weekes, B. S. (2015). Bilingualism provides a neural reserve for aging populations. Neuropsychologia, 69, 201-210.
- Bate, S., Bennetts, R., Parris, B. A., Binderman, M., Bussunt, A., and Udale, R. (2015). Oxytocin increases bias but not accuracy in line-up identification. Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 10 (7), 1010-1014.
- Bell, J., Manson, A., Edwards, M. and Meso, A.I. (2015). Numerosity and density judgments: Biases for area but not for volume. Journal of Vision, 15 (2).
- Dyall, S. (2015). Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids and the brain: A review of the independent and shared effects of EPA, DPA and DHA. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 7 (52), 1-15.
- Elisa, R.N. and Parris, B.A. (2015). The relationship between core symptoms of ADHD and the Cognitive Reflection Test in a non-clinical sample. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry. DOI: 10.1080/13546805.2015.1068687.
- Forder, L., He, X. and Franklin, A. (2015). Colour categories are reflected in sensory stages of colour perception when stimulus issues are resolved. Perception, 44, 116.
- Hasshim, N. and Parris, B.A. (2015). Asessing stimulus–stimulus (semantic) conflict in the Stroop task using saccadic two-to-one color response mapping and preresponse pupillary measures. Attention, Perception, and Psychophysics. DOI: 8/s13414-015-0971-9.
- Hodgson, T.L., Parris, B.A., Benattayallah, A. and Summers, I.R. (2015). Multi-modal representation of effector modality in frontal cortex during rule switching. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. DOI: 10.3389/fnhum.2015.00486.
- Liu, M., He, X., Rotsthein, P. and Sui, J. (2015). Dynamically orienting your own face facilitates the automatic attraction of attention. Cognitive Neuroscience. DOI: 10.1080/17588928.2015.1044428.
- Lao, J., Miellet, S., Pernet, C., Sokhn, N. and Caldara, R. (2015). iMap 4: An Open Source Toolbox for the Statistical Fixation Mapping of Eye Movement data with Linear Mixed Modeling. Journal of vision, 15 (12), 793.
- *Lapish, C.C., *Balaguer-Ballester, E., Seamans, J.K., Phillips, A.G. and Durstewitz, D. (2015). Amphetamine exerts dose-dependent changes in prefrontal cortex attractor dynamics during working memory. The Journal of Neuroscience, 35 (28), 10172-10187. * Joint first author.
- Meso, A.I. and Masson, G.S. (2015). Dynamic resolution of ambiguity during tri-stable motion perception. Vision Research, 107, 113-123.
- Meso, A.I. and Chemla, S. (2015). Perceptual fields reveal previously hidden dynamics of human visual motion sensitivity. Journal of Neurophysiology, 114 (3), 1360-1363.
- O’Malley, M., Innes, A. and Wiener, J.M. (2015). Decreasing spatial disorientation in care-home settings: How psychology can guide the development of dementia friendly design guidelines. Dementia. DOI: 10.1177/1471301215591334.
- O’Dushlaine, C., McGhee, K.A. et al. (2015). Psychiatric genome-wide association study analyses implicate neuronal, immune and histone pathways. Nature Neuroscience, 18 (2), 199-209.
- Pincham, H.L., Wu, C., Killikelly, C., Vuillier, L. and Fearon, P. (2015). Social provocation modulates decision making and feedback processing during adolescence. The Journal of Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 15, 58-66.
- Reppa, I. and McDougall, S. (2015). When the going gets tough the beautiful get going: aesthetic appeal facilitates task performance. Psychon Bull Rev. DOI: 10.3758/s13423-014-0794-z.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2015). Retinoblastoma: how advancements in neurology and neuroscience can help. Journal of Neurology & Neuroscience, 6 (4; 50), 1-3.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2015). Health psychology intervention – identifying early symptoms in neurological disorders. International Journal of Medical, Health, Biomedical, Bioengineering & Pharmaceutical Engineering, 9 (4), 351-355.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2015). Saliva cortisol and yawning as a predictor of neurological disease. International Science Index, 3 (4), 23.
- Thompson, S.B.N. and Simonsen, M. (2015). Yawning as a new potential diagnostic marker for neurological diseases. Journal of Neurology & Neuroscience, 1-6.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2015). Yawning and cortisol as a potential biomarker for early detection of multiple sclerosis. International Science Index, 2 (5), 22.
- Vuillier, L., Hermens, D., Chitty, K., Wang, C., Kaur, M., Ward, P., Degrabriele, R., Hickie, I. and Lagopoulos, J.(2015). Emotional Processing, P50 Sensory Gating and Social Functioning in Bipolar Disorder. Clinical EEG and Neuroscience, 46 (2), 81-87.
- Vuillier, L., Szucs, D. and Whitebread, D. (2015). ERP evidence of cognitive strategy change in motivational conditions with varying level of difficulty. Neuropsychologia, 70, 126-133.
- Bell, J, Sampasivam, S., McGovern, D., Meso, A. I and Kingdom, FA. (2014). Inflections are coded features in human vision. Journal of Vision 14(7)12.
- Balaguer-Ballester, E, Tabas-Diaz, A, and Budka, M. (2014). Can we identify non-stationary dynamics in trial-to-trial variability? PLoS ONE. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0095648.
- de Condappa, O. and Wiener, J. (2014). Human place and response learning: navigation strategy selection, pupil size and gaze behavior. Psychological Research. DOI: 10.1007/s00426-014-0642-9.
- He, X., Sebanz, N., Sui, J. and Humphreys, G.W. (2014). Individualism-collectivism and interpersonal memory guidance of attention. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 54, 102-114.
- He, X., Witzel, C., Forder, L., Clifford, A. and Franklin, A. (2014). Color categories only affect post-perceptual processes when same- and different-category colors are equally discriminable. Journal of the Optical Society of America A, 31, A322-A331.
- Herron, K., Dijk, D.-J., Dean, P., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A. (2014). Quantitative electroencephalography and behavioural correlates of daytime sleepiness in chronic stroke. BioMed Research International. DOI: 10.1155/2014/794086.
- Meso, A.I, Chemla, S. (2014) Perceptual fields reveal previously hidden dynamics of human visual motion sensitivity. Journal of Neurophysiology. doi: 10.1152/jn.00698.2014.
- Meso, A.I, Simoncini, C. (2014) Towards an understanding of the roles of visual areas MT and MST in computing speed. Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience. 8:92.
- Miellet, S., Lao, J. and Caldara, R. (2014). An appropriate use of iMap produces correct statistical results: a reply to McManus (2013) iMAP and iMAP2 produce erroneous statistical maps of eye-movement differences. Perception, 43, 451-457.
- Miellet, S., Caldara, R., Raju, M., Gillberg, C. and Minnis, H. (2014). Reactive Affective Disorders symptoms impair social judgements from faces. Psychiatry Research, 215, 747-752. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychres.2014.01.004.
- Miller J.K. and J.M. Wiener, (2014). PTSD recovery, Spatial Processing, and the val66met Polymorphism. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. DOI: 10.3389/fnhum.2014.00100J.
- Parris, B. A., Dienes, Z., Bate, S., and Gothard, S. (2014). Oxytocin impedes the effect of the posthypnotic word blindness suggestion on Stroop task performance. Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 9 (7), 895-899. doi: 10.1093/scan/nst063.
- Rankin, J. Meso, A.I, Masson, G.S, Faugeras, O. and Kornprobst, P (2014). Bifurcation study of a neural field competition model with an application to perceptual switching in motion integration. Journal of Computational Neuroscience. 36(2): p193-213.
- Seiss, E., Klippel, M., Hope, C., Boy, F. and Sumner, P. (2014). The relationship between reversed masked priming and the tri-phasic pattern of the lateralised readiness potential. PLoS ONE, 9 (4).
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2014). This will make you yawn. New Scientist, 224 (3000/3001), 38-39.
- Thompson, S.B.N. (2014). Yawning, fatigue and cortisol: expanding the Thompson Cortisol Hypothesis. Medical Hypotheses, 83 (4), 494-496.
- Wolbers, T. and Wiener, J.M. (2014). Challenges for identifying the neural mechanisms that support spatial navigation: the impact of spatial scale. Front. Hum. Neurosci. 8:571. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2014.00571
- Pincham, H.L., Matejko, A., Obersteiner, A., Killikelly, C., Abrahao, K., Benavides-Varela, S., Gabriel, F., Rato, J. and Vuillier, L. (2014). Forging a new path for Educational Neuroscience: An international young-researcher perspective on combining neuroscience and educational practices. Trends in Neuroscience and Education, 3, 28-31.
- Lee, S.H., McGhee, K.A. et al. (2013). Genetic relationship between five psychiatric disorders estimated from genome-wide SNPs. Nature Genetics, 45 (9), 984.
- Terwisscha van Scheltinga AF, Bakker SC, van Haren NE, Derks EM, Buizer-Voskamp JE, Boos HB, Cahn W, Hulshoff Pol HE, Ripke S, Ophoff RA, Kahn RS; Psychiatric Genome-wide Association Study Consortium (2013). Genetic schizophrenia risk variants jointly modulate total brain and white matter volume. Biological Psychiatry. DOI: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2012.08.017.
- Hope, C., Seiss, E., Dean, P.J.A., Williams, K.E.M. and Sterr, A. (2013). Consumption of glucose drinks slows sensorimotor processing: Double-blind placebo-controlled studies with the Eriksen flanker task. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. DOI: 10.3389/fnhum.2013.00651.
- Yip, P.K., Dyall, S.C. et al. (2013). The Omega-3 Fatty Acid Eicosapentaenoic Acid Accelerates Disease Progression in a Model of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. PLoS ONE, 8 (4).
- Lim, S.N., Gladman, S.J., Dyall, S.C., Patel, U., Virani, N., Kang, J.X., Priestley, J.V. and Michael-Titus, A.T. (2013). Transgenic mice with high endogenous omega-3 fatty acids are protected from spinal cord injury. Neurobiology of Disease, 51, 104-112.
- Meso, A. I, Durant, S. and Zanker, J.M (2013). Perceptual separation of transparent motion components: the integration of motion, luminance and shape cues. Experimental Brain Research 230(1):71-86
- Wiener, J.M., de Condappa, O., Harris, M.A., Wolbers, T. (2013). Maladaptive bias for extrahippocampal navigation strategies in aging humans. Journal of Neuroscience, 33(14), 6012-6017
- Hills, T.T., Kalff, C. and Wiener, J.M. (2013) Adaptive Lévy Processes and Area-Restricted Search in Human Foraging. PLoS ONE 8(4): e60488. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0060488
- Kessler, K. and Miellet, S. (2013). Perceiving conspecifics as integrated “body gestalts” is an embodied process. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 142(3), 774-790. DOI: 10.1037/a0029617.
- Miellet, S., Vizioli, L., He, L., Zhou, X. and Caldara, R. (2013). Mapping face recognition information use across cultures. Frontiers in Perception Science, 4:34. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00034.
- Bernal-Casas, D., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Gerchen, M., Iglesias, S., Walter, H., Heinz, A., Meyer-Lindenberg, A., Stephan, K.E. and Kirsch, P. (2013). Multi-site reproducibility of prefrontal-hippocampal connectivity estimates by stochastic dynamic causal models. Neuroimage, 82: 555-563.
- Gladman, S.J., Huang, W., Lim, S.N., Dyall, S.C., Boddy, S., Kang, J.X., Knight, M.M., Priestley, J.V. and Michael-Titus, A.T. (2012). Improved outcome after peripheral nerve injury in mice with increased levels of endogenous Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Journal of Neuroscience, 32 (2), 563-571.
- Meso, A. I, Hess, R. F (2012) Evidence for multiple extra-striate mechanisms behind perception of visual motion gradients. Vision Research 64. 42-48.
- Dean, P.J.A., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A. (2012). Motor Planning in Chronic Upper-Limb Hemiparesis: Evidence from Movement-Related Potentials. PLoS ONE, 7 (10).
- Hyman, J., Ma, L., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Durstewitz, D. and Seamans, J. (2012). Contextual encoding by ensembles of medial prefrontal cortex neurons. PNAS, 109 (13) 5086-5091.
- Sui, J., He, X. and Humphreys, G.W. (2012). Perceptual effects of social salience: Evidence from self-prioritization effects on perceptual matching. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 38, 1105-1117.
- Wiener, J.M., Kmecova, H. and de Condappa, O. (2012). Route repetition and route retracing: Effects of cognitive aging. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 4(7).
- Wiener, J.M., Hölscher, C., Büchner, S. and Konieczny, L. (2012). Gaze behaviour during space perception and spatial decision making. Psychological Research, 76, 713-729.
- Harris, M.A., Wiener, J.M. and Wolbers, T. (2012). Aging specifically impairs switching to an allocentric navigational strategy. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 4(20).
- Towler, J., Gosling, A., Duchaine, B. and Eimer, M. (2012). The face-sensitive N170 component in developmental prosopagnosia. Neuropsychologia, 50 (14), 3588-3599.
- Eimer, M., Gosling, A. and Duchaine, B., (2012). Electrophysiological markers of covert face recognition in developmental prosopagnosia. Brain, 135 (2), 542-554.
- Eimer, M., Gosling, A. and Duchaine, B., (2012). Electrophysiological markers of covert face recognition in developmental prosopagnosia. Brain, 135 (Pt 2), 542-554.
- Zeng, B., Law, J. and Lindsay, G. (2012). Characterizing optimal intervention intensity: The relationship between dosage and effect size in interventions for children with developmental speech and language difficulties. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 14 (5), 471-477.
- Law, J., Zeng, B., Lindsay, G. and Beecham, J. (2012). Cost-effectiveness of interventions for children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN): A review using the Drummond and Jefferson (1996) ‘Referee’s Checklist’. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 47 (1), 1-10.
- Beecham, J., Law, J., Zeng, B. and Lindsay, G. (2012). Costing children’s speech, language and communication interventions. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 47 (5).
- McDougall, S. and Pfeifer, G. (2012). Personality differences in mental imagery and the effects on verbal memory. Br J Psychol, 103 (4), 556-573.
- McDougall, S. and House, B. (2012). Brain training in older adults: Evidence of transfer to memory span performance and pseudo-Matthew effects. Aging, Neuropsychology & Cognition.
- McDougall, S. and Pfeifer, G. (2012). Personality differences in mental imagery and the effects on verbal memory. British Journal of Psychology.
- Harkin, B., Miellet, S., & Kessler, K. (2012). What checkers actually check: An eye tracking study of working memory and executive control. PLoS ONE, 7(9): e44689. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0044689.
- Miellet, S., He, L., Zhou, X., Lao, J. & Caldara, R. (2012). When East meets West: gaze-contingent Blindspots abolish cultural diversity in eye movements for faces. Journal of Eye Movement Research, 5(2):4, 1-12.
- Prof. Ahmed Khattab
- Dr Benjamin Parris
- Dr Ellen Seiss
- Dr Emili Balaguer-Ballester
- Dr Fred Charles
- Dr Hongchuan Yu
- Prof. Jan Wiener
- Prof Kevin McGhee
- Dr Laura Renshaw-Vuillier
- Dr Peter Arabaci Hills
- Dr Rachel Moseley
- Dr Shahin Rostami
- Dr Shanti Shanker
- Dr Simon Thompson
- Prof Sine McDougall
- Dr Xun He