Skip to main content

Practical arrangements

Important considerations to take into account when deciding to submit an Expression of Interest include accommodation, health and travel insurance, flights and visa if applicable.


While all our partner institutions either provide university accommodation to exchange students or assist students in securing housing, it is your responsibility to ensure all the necessary steps are followed. Find out what accommodation support our partner universities offer by clicking on the "Information for exchange" links of your faculty's exchange partners PDF.

You will also need to consider your own accommodation arrangements for the academic year in which you intend to study abroad. If you have entered into a year-long rental contract, you may wish to consider transferring your let for the time you are abroad; check with your landlord if this is a possibility and whether costs will be involved.

Health and travel insurance

BU offers a comprehensive travel insurance policy (pdf 56kb) to all outgoing students. Additionally, if you are travelling to an EU country you should apply for an EHIC card, which enables you to obtain medical assistance for free. If you are a non-EU national studying at BU you can only apply for the EHIC via post, once you are registered with a UK health centre; contact the Student Medical Centre for further information on registering with them.

Please note that some non-European partners request that incoming students purchase additional health insurance to comply with their immigration and institutional requirements. Similarly, after reviewing BU's travel insurance policy (pdf 56kb), and depending on personal considerations or specific health issues, some students might decide to purchase an additional insurance policy to top-up what is available.

Flights or other forms of travel

Travel arrangements to your host institution are your responsibility. To benefit from lower prices we suggest you book your travel as soon as you receive your official acceptance letter. Please note this might mean purchasing your flights before you receive Erasmus+ or International Study Abroad funding.

Visa (if applicable)

Depending on your nationality and your exchange destination, you may be required to obtain a visa. Please check the web pages for incoming students at your host university, as key information on common queries is usually available there. Further guidance will be offered by your host institution, and any related questions must be directed to the Exchange Co-ordinator of your host institution, as they will have the latest information regarding legal and immigration matters in their country.

Make the most of your time abroad

Prepare for your semester abroad by joining a range of online language courses and conversation clubs offered by the Language Centre. Please check online information on available courses and conversation groups, and contact Paul Barnes for further information.

Your study exchange can also count towards achieving the Global Talent Programme, which can help you develop your skills and enhance your employability.