Sexual assault or harassment
If you, or someone you know, has been affected by sexual assault or harassment please read the following information to find out what support and advice is available.
Sexual abuse may take many forms. In addition to rape and sexual assault, it includes sexual harassment, i.e. any behaviour that is humiliating, intimidating or hostile, and may include actions like derogatory name calling, belittling remarks, insults, threats, unwanted personal attention. It can also include any form of sexual activity that takes place without the other person’s full and informed consent - involving physical contact, words, or photographs online or by text message.
Sexual abuse can happen to anyone regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, class, or background. The majority of rape and sexual assault are mostly carried out by someone known to the victim; a husband, boyfriend, friend, colleague or other family member. Sexual violence can also be committed by strangers. If you've been sexually assaulted you don’t have to report the assault to police if you don’t want to, however only the police can carry out a formal investigation into these types of matters.
The university takes a zero tolerance approach to any form of abuse and will take action against any student who is deemed to have breached the Student Disciplinary Procedures.
Report an incident
- Use our online form to report an incident. Your report will be sent confidentially to dedicated staff within Student Services.
If there is an emergency on campus call 01202 962222. For off campus emergencies call 999.
If you have been affected by sexual abuse there are services that can help both on campus and outside BU - please see the links at the bottom of the page.
Hate crime or incident
Report an incident
If an incident does occur, to you or someone you know, you can report it in any of the following ways:
- Use our online form to report an incident. Your report will be sent confidentially to dedicated staff within Student Services
- If there is an emergency on campus call 01202 962222. For off campus emergencies call 999
- Direct to James Palfreman-Kay, BU's Equality and Diversity Advisor, by calling 01202 965327 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Via BU's Neighbourhood Policing Team
- Report to Dorset Police via the Dorset Police website, their Hate Crime2 App, or by calling 101 from any phone, including a mobile.
Support on campus
- Student Support & Engagement team
- BU's Neighbourhood Policing team
- Student Wellbeing
- Jacquie O'Brien, Student Support & Engagement Officer: email SSET@bournemouth.ac.uk or call 01202 965476
- You can also speak to an AskBU Adviser in confidence.
- The Shores - This is the dedicated Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) for Dorset, providing a comprehensive service to anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted and can support you even if you do not wish to report an incident to the police. They offer a safe and non-judgemental environment which focuses on the needs of you, the individual. All clients are treated with dignity and respect. The Shores are contactable 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- Disrespect NoBody
- STARS: Sexual Trauma and Recovery Service
- NHS: Help after rape and sexual assault
- Rape Crisis
- The Survivors Trust.