How to print
Before you print
- Check you have enough credit on your print account. You can top up your print credit online here.
On the PC
- In your document, select Print
- Choose a print queue
- Secure Mono for black and white at 3p per page
- Secure Colour for colour at 18p per page
- Your printing will remain in the print queue for up to 24 hours before being deleted.
At the printer
- Go to a printer in your chosen print queue (Secure Mono or Secure Colour)
- Swipe your ID card once only across the card reader (located at the side of the printer)
- Select the Release documents option from the menu
- On the left hand side you will see a list of documents that you have sent to the print queue. Documents may take up to 15 minutes to appear in your print queue and will only remain there for 24 hours.
- Select which items you want to print (or press "Select all") and then press Print in the bottom left hand corner of the screen
- If you want to carry out another action, click on the silver home button to be taken back to the option screen
- Or to log off, swipe your card once across the card reader.
- Please collect your printing promptly and do not leave any printed material unsecured or lying around on the printer as this could be lost, taken or recycled.
There are also step by step guides in the IT Knowledge Base which will help you use the full range of functions, whether printing, copying, scanning to email or printing wirelessly from your laptop or mobile device. NB you will be prompted to log in with your BU username and password when you access the IT Knowledge Base.
How to print from your laptop or mobile device
You can email your printing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your BU email address is automatically linked to your print account and your print credit balance. If you send something to print from a personal email account however, you must register that account while on the BU network (on campus and connected to the Wifi). When you first email email@example.com you will get an automatic reply with some simple instructions on how to do this.
Another way of sending printing from your personal device is to go through a one-off process to add the Printer Installer to your device. Once you have done this you will be able to print documents with ease in the future.
For more help with this, please contact the IT Service Desk on +44 (0) 1202 965515.
Or use the following documents which provide instructions for laptops running Windows 10, MAC devices and mobile devices respectively. You will be prompted to login when you click on these links.
- Instructions for wireless printing for students using a Windows 10 device
- Instructions for wireless printing for students using a Mac device: instructions are in the Student Public Drive. Navigate to Common > Apple Mac Print Application 2016
- Instructions for wireless printing for students using mobiles and tablets
How to check credit on your print and photocopy account
If you are in the library:
Tap your card on any printer and go to the ‘Release Documents’ tab. Your current balance will be displayed on the right hand side of the screen.
Alternatively (and if you are off-campus)
- Go to Log-in Services on the BU website
- From the dropdown menu, "Quick Links to other BU services", select Add print credit
- At the Equitrac Web Login page, sign in with your BU username and password
- Your current balance will be displayed at the top of the page
- On the same page you will be able to top up your print account if you need to. Minimum payment with a credit or debit card is £2.
How to add credit to your print and photocopy account
Add credit to your print and photocopy account online through the Equitrac secure web payments gateway. The minimum top-up is £2.
This is the only method of topping up your account. The Cash Loader machines are out of use until further notice, due to Covid-secure measures in place on campus.
We regret that no monies can be returned to you at the end of your course.