University Music offers exceptional musical opportunities for BU and AUB students and staff, as well as for members of the local community.
University Music is based in the Music Centre, Talbot House, which is part of Bournemouth University’s Talbot Campus. Our ensembles also perform regularly at other local venues throughout the concert season.
Whether you are looking to sing in a choir, play in an instrumental ensemble, take lessons, or just listen to excellent music - find out below how you can access all that we offer.
Find out more
Facilities and room bookings
The University Music Centre offers facilities for students and staff of BU and AUB.
Based on the first floor of Talbot House, which is located on the university’s Talbot Campus, you will find the Music Admin office (T103a) alongside a number of general practice rooms all with pianos. Ensemble rehearsals take place in the Student Hall on the ground floor of Talbot House.
General music practice rooms
Practice rooms with pianos are available free of charge for all BU and AUB students and staff from 8am - 9pm seven days a week. For door codes please contact the Music Admin team.
Band practice room (T101)
This room is available for groups or ensembles of up to 5 people and is equipped with a drum kit, amps and piano. A charge is made for the use of the room, which is available to all BU/AUB students and staff during the evenings and weekends. Please follow the booking procedure below.
Available time slots
- Monday: 5.15pm - 7.15pm and 7.45pm - 9.45pm
- Tuesday: No bookings available
- Wednesday: 5.15pm - 7.15pm and 7.45pm - 9.45pm
- Thursday: 5pm - 7pm
- Friday: 5.15pm - 7.15pm and 7.45pm - 9.45pm
- Saturday: 9.30am - 11.30am, 12pm - 2pm, 2.30pm - 4.30pm
- Sunday: 9.30am - 11.30am, 12pm - 2pm, 2.30pm - 4.30pm
Note: The following slots are available and the fee for each 2 hour slot is £11.00
How to make a booking
Email the music admin team and state the following:
- Time you would like to book
- Full name
- Mobile phone number.
- Await confirmation.
- Pay the hire fee at the Cash Office in Poole House
- A receipt will be issued allowing you to collect the room key from Poole House Reception immediately before your booking is due to commence.
- Collect the room key from Poole House no earlier than 10 minutes before your booking is due to commence and reception will retain your student/staff ID card as a deposit
- Enjoy your practice session
- Return the key to Poole House Reception no later than 15 minutes after your booking finishes.
Note: Under no circumstances must you pass the key directly to the next hirer.