Why study Graduate Diploma in Law at BU?
- Acquire knowledge of the foundation law subjects of the English Legal Systems and processes required by The Law Society and The General Council of the Bar
- Develop the skills to analyse legal problems and provide a range of solutions to them
- Gain a critical understanding of contemporary legal issues and develop the ability to synthesise and challenge legal doctrines and concepts
- Research and write a paper on a further area of law that interests you, and that you may wish to pursue in the future
- Benefit from a focused learning environment and individual support from our experienced academic staff, whose education is informed by professional qualifications, experience and research
- Graduates will be able to proceed to the vocational stage of legal education.
For September 2023 entry: The GDL is intended for those wanting to qualify as a barrister via the BTC route. From 31 August 2021, this route does not apply to those wanting to qualify as a solicitor via the LPC. In order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. We are currently developing a new Postgraduate provision for those wanting to qualify as a solicitor via the Solicitors Qualifying Examination from September 2023 and we will update this page in May 2023 to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
1 year full-time
A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2 in any subject, or equivalent
International entry requirements:
If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in each component of speaking, listening and reading. For more information check out our full entry requirements.