Entry requirements for American students

This is a guide to the normal entry requirements, assuming you’ve followed the American education system. An admissions tutor will study your application, so make sure you include your academic background and personal information when you apply.

Entry requirements vary depending on what sort of course you’re coming to BU to study.

  • BU International College Foundation Certificates
    You can undertake a Foundation Certificate before going on to an undergraduate course if you have successfully completed 12 years of schooling in the USA.
  • Undergraduate courses
    You can apply to study a Bachelor's degree from year one if you hold a High School Graduation Diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0, plus at least one of the following:
    • SAT Reasoning tests
      • SATR tests are accepted only on courses in which all subjects are considered. You will need a combined score between 1200 and 1300. The required score will vary according to the course applied for.
    • American College Tests
      • ACT tests are accepted only on courses in which all subjects are considered. You will need a combined score between 24 and 26, depending on the course applied for.
    • Advanced Placement tests
      • AP tests are required on courses which list required or relevant subjects. You will need 2 tests and the required score per subject will range between 3 and 5, depending on the course applied for. Additional tests such as SATR or ACT will support your application. If you apply for a course which requires AP tests but are unable to take the tests, please contact the International Admissions Team on [email protected] to discuss your options.
    • Please note:
      • Honours / elective classes in relevant or required subjects will support your application, as will an associate degree in a relevant subject with a minimum GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0.
      • We have registered with the College Board to receive SAT and AP scores, although you are still welcome to send us your transcripts directly if you wish. To send your results through the College Board, you will need to select Bournemouth University's Designated Institution code, which is 7427.
  • Postgraduate courses
    You need to have a US Bachelor's (Honours) degree in a relevant subject and may need some relevant work experience, depending on the course.
  • Research programmes
    ​You need any postgraduate degree to be considered for a BU research programme.

You can find more information about English language requirements for entry to BU on our English language requirements page.

If you need help with your visa or want more information about the immigration process, you can find it on our immigration information page.

We also have information about US Federal Loans as well as the Veterans Affairs Educational Funding programme to fund your studies in the UK.