Under the Points-Based System (PBS) you can bring dependents to the UK while you are studying, provided that you meet certain conditions.
What is a dependent?
Dependents are normally close family members. They could be:
- Your spouse (husband, wife or civil partner)
- Your unmarried, same-sex partner
- Your children.
Who can bring dependents to the UK while studying?
- PhD students
- Students studying a Master's degree that is more than 12 calendar months long.
Who is not entitled to bring dependents to the UK while studying?
- Bachelor's degree students
- Students studying a Master's degree that is less than 12 calendar months long.
If you are bringing dependents to the UK during your studies, they will need to apply for a PBS Dependent visa before they enter the UK. It is very important that your family member(s) should not enter the UK on a Visitor visa if you would like them to stay with you for the duration of your course. There is further information about travelling with dependents on the UKVI website, and UKCISA website.
There are strict financial requirements that you must meet before you can bring dependents into the UK when you are studying. You can find detailed information about the requirements on the Gov.uk website.