Our forensics lab houses a range of industry-standard equipment that you will learn to use during your course. This will prepare you for work in the field of forensics in commercial and police laboratories, as well as help you develop analytical skills that will serve you well in any role.
By working in this setting throughout your degree, you’ll also learn about quality control and the contamination of samples and evidence. Among the equipment we have is:
- Superglue fuming cabinet - within this cabinet superglue is heated, causing it to fume and adhere to any fingerprints on items inside, enhancing them for forensic investigators.
- Downflow units - there are three of these in the labs and they’re used during fingerprinting and chemical enhancement work.
- Electrostatic detection apparatus (ESDA) - this is used to examine indented writing. We also have an ESDA humidifier that prepares the paper for use with the ESDA.
- Range of fingerprinting powders and kits
- Electrostatic lifting apparatus (ESLA) - this can be used at crime scenes to lift footwear impressions from the dust and ground.
- Range of cameras for use in the field
- High-intensity light sources - we have several of these that are portable and used at crime scenes.
- Blood spatter analysis facilities.
You will have access to this lab and the equipment in it at any time throughout your course, you simply need to book a time slot through one of the demonstrators.