I’m a Ukrainian National already in the UK, what visa do I need to study?

The UK Government have announced a visa specifically for Ukrainian Nationals affected by the war in Ukraine that are already in the UK. This is called the Ukrainian Extension Scheme, and eligibility is for all Ukrainians in the UK and family members of Ukrainians who hold any valid UK visa, or held one that expired on or after 1 January 2022. For more information, visit our Ukrainian extension scheme.

Applying for the Student Route Visa, is also an option, should you prefer to do that.

I’m a Ukrainian National, I’m not in the UK and don’t have family in the UK

The UK Government’s Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme allows Ukrainian national and family members to come to the UK if they have a named sponsor under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.

Applying for the Student Route Visa, is also an option, should you prefer to do that.

What tuition fees do I have to pay?

If you are in the UK under the Ukraine Extension Scheme or the Homes for Ukraine Scheme, you may be eligible for Home fee status.

If you are not eligible for these schemes then you will be considered Overseas for fees purposes.

What financial support is available?

You may be eligible for Student Finance if you’ve been granted leave to enter or remain in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme, the Homes for Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme or the Ukraine Extension Scheme. Please visit Student Finance England for more information, as well as the BU undergraduate funding pages or the postgraduate funding pages, which include scholarships and other funding options.

Can I transfer to BU to finish my studies?

We welcome applications from students who have previously studied at other institutions and wish to transfer onto a BU course. We facilitate Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which enables credit awarded from one institution to contribute to a BU award, subject to an application process.

If you wish to join us in year 2/3 of a course, we would certainly consider your application if:

  • We have space on the course in your year
  • What you have already studied is compatible with our degree (check the programme specification on the course webpage)
  • You will have completed your full year of study at your current university.

For further information please contact our Future students enquiry team.

What are the English language requirements?

The English language requirements are detailed on each course page. If English is not your first language, you will need to provide evidence that you can understand English to a satisfactory level.

You can submit your BU application without this, but if you were made an offer, it would be on the condition that you achieved this.

BU accept a range of recognised English Language qualifications for entry, which are among the language tests published and regularly updated by the UK Border Agency for Student Route visa purposes. There are also alternative, easy to access online English language tests that can be taken from home. Please view further information about our English language requirements.

How to apply?

If you are looking to apply for an undergraduate course we recommend you visit our application guide for international students.

For further information about the application process for postgraduate courses please visit how to apply.

What courses do you have?

We have over 100 courses to choose from, please visit our course pages to view full courses details of both our undergraduate and postgraduate courses.