Workforce development opportunities and CPD study options for health and social care professions
Bournemouth University has a long history of delivering CPD (continuing professional development) to the health and social care sector. Our large portfolio of workforce development and CPD opportunities reflects current workforce transformation across the sector and is constantly updated to ensure that it meets the needs of our stakeholder organisations and students.
Our programmes are designed and implemented in collaboration with service colleagues, supporting the development of a workforce that is not only fit for the here and now, but will be able to lead and innovate into the future.
Our CPD courses
- Advanced Clinical Practice/Advanced Nurse Practitioner
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner Portfolio
- Business Writing (Evidencing Professional Learning 3)
- Care of Clients with Long-Term Conditions
- Care of Clients with Minor Illness
- Clinical Practice Profile
- Context & Scope of Public Health
- Critical Care
- Deteriorating Adult Patient Recognition & Management
- Developing Knowledge and Analysis (Child Care)
- Developing Professional Practice
- Developing Professional Specialist Practice
- Enabling Work-Based Learning
- Enhanced Assessment Skills for Clinical Practice
- Evidencing Advanced Clinical Practice Through Portfolio Development
- Evidencing Professional Learning
- Evidencing Professional Learning (Social Sciences Workshop)
- Examination of the Newborn
- Foundations in General Practice Nursing
- Health Creation and Salutogenesis
- Improving Personal and Organisational Performance (IPOP)
- Independent & Supplementary Prescribing
- Introduction to Leadership (Improving Personal and Organisational Performance - IPOP)
- Law, Policy and Professional Practice (Child Care)
- Leading for Change
- Leading Integrated Services
- Living Well with Dementia
- Locating & Evaluating Evidence for Professional Practice
- Managing Mental Health in Non-Mental Health Settings
- Managing Physical Health in Mental Health Care
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 in Practice
- Paediatric Presenting Conditions in Urgent and Primary Care
- Practice Observation
- Practice Observation (Child Care)
- Preparing for your Service Improvement Project (PSIP)
- Professional Practice (ASYE/Child/Adult/Mental Health)
- Professional Reasoning and Judgement in Health & Social Care
- Professional Supervision in Health & Social Care
- Professional Use of Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS)
- Resilience, Advocacy and Wellbeing
- Return to Nursing Practice
- Risk & Decision-Making in Safeguarding Adults & Children
- Risk Assessment & Decision-Making in Practice
- Self Leadership
- Service Improvement Project Units
- Social Work-Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE)
- Strategic Leadership
- Supervising a Learner in Practice
- Supplementary Prescribing
- Systematic Review to Inform Clinical Practice
- Understanding Childhood Experiences and their Lifelong Impact
If you don’t see something suitable, we also run bespoke provision tailored to your specific personal and organisation needs, which can be requested upon demand from the CPD team. Please contact: [email protected]Browse our CPD courses
We understand that fitting study in and around your busy working life can be a challenge, so we have a number of flexible courses that allow you to study bite-sized units at your convenience, while working towards a final qualification, such as a Master’s award. You may wish to try one unit at a time or more, or enrol on a full programme – the choice is yours.
We also run bespoke provision tailored to your specific personal and organisation needs, which can be requested upon demand from the CPD team: [email protected]
Building your own award
The Faculty of Health & Social Sciences CPD Framework provides opportunities to enable qualified health and social care professionals to undertake units of study appropriate to their workplace, and at the same time accumulate credit for progression to honours degree/PG Cert/PG Dip and MA. It aims to produce knowledgeable and skilled critical thinking practitioners who have the potential to enhance the care of clients/patients, and enable them to act as knowledgeable and responsible practitioners.
The units, based on the principles of evidence-based practice and client-centred care, are focused on supporting health and social care practitioners to critically evaluate what they do, and how they act, in a continuing evolving health and social care environment.
You can build on units to create one of the following awards:
You can build your own academic award by undertaking bite-sized chunks of study over time to develop the skills and confidence to work in an increasingly complex and transient working environment. Our CPD framework has been developed with a ‘pick and mix’ approach and is open to all health and social care professionals with units, emphasising work-based learning along with academic study.
Set full degree programmes
PG Dip/MSc Advanced Clinical Practice
This course will support you to gain the knowledge and skills required for the development of an Advanced Nurse Practitioner or Advanced Clinical Practice role, both professionally and academically at Master’s level.
Two pathways are available: if you are a nurse, you will undertake the MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (Advanced Nurse Practitioner) qualification; if you are an allied health professional, pharmacist, midwife, healthcare scientist or other registered non-medical healthcare professional then the MSc Advanced Clinical practice is appropriate for you, in supporting your advanced clinical practice role.Find out more
MSc Advanced Clinical Practice - Apprenticeship
This three-year part-time apprenticeship programme will support you to gain the knowledge and skills required for the development of an Advanced Nurse Practitioner or Advanced Clinical Practice role.
Two pathways are available: if you are a nurse, you will undertake the MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (Advanced Nurse Practitioner) qualification; if you are an allied health professional, pharmacist, midwife, healthcare scientist or other registered non-medical healthcare professional then the MSc Advanced Clinical practice is appropriate for you, in supporting your advanced clinical practice role.
Please note: Applications for the apprenticeship route must be made via an employer – therefore prospective apprentices should be employed in a healthcare role and have the support of their employer. We also offer a standard Master’s degree route for MSc Advanced Clinical Practice and MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (Advanced Nurse Practitioner) – please see section above.Find out more
MA Advanced Mental Health Practice
This part-time course is designed to prepare practitioners who will be considered for appointment as approved mental health professionals under the Mental Health Act 2007.
This is a part-time course, which can be taken over a maximum of five years. It is arranged in blocks of taught days and placement days.
After completing this course, you will also be able to take on the role of Best Interest Assessor under the Mental Health Capacity Act 2005 if required by your employer (subject to amendment by the LPS framework).Find out more
MSc Health Research
Focusing on a health or social care research area that interests you, this course gives you the opportunity to develop the skills to design, carry out and report a research study that’s clinically applicable, scientifically sound and relevant to patients.
Units from this course can be taken as individual CPD units.Find out more about MSc Health Research
BSc/PG Dip Public Health Nurse (Health Visiting)
This course prepares practitioners to work in defined areas of community public health practice, for registration as a Specialist Community Public Health Nurse (SCPHN) Health Visitor.Find out more about the Health Visiting course
What CPD options are there?
We have a number of flexible courses that allow you to study bite-sized units at your convenience, while working towards a final qualification, such as a Master’s award. You may wish to try one unit at a time or more, or enrol on a full programme – the choice is yours. Browse the options here.
We also run bespoke provision tailored to your specific personal and organisation needs, which can be requested upon demand from the CPD team: [email protected]Browse our CPD options
How do I apply for CPD?
Please apply via our online portal which can be accessed here. We have a completely online application process; once you have applied, updates can be obtained through the online system and you can track your progress. There is also the option of added text alerts.
For help with your application please visit our help centre.Apply for CPD
How do I find out more?
How do I contact the Health and Social Care CPD team?
For individual applications and information, please contact:
Email: [email protected]
To discuss how we can tailor our provision to meet your needs, please contact:
Mary-Ann Robertson – Business Relations Manager (Health): [email protected]
Sandra Adye – Business Support Manager (Social Work): [email protected]