This is a guide to the normal entry requirements, assuming you've followed the Hong Kong education system. An admissions tutor will study your application, so make sure you include your academic background and personal information when you apply.
Entry requirements vary depending on what sort of course you're coming to BU to study.

  • BU International College Foundation Certificates
    You can undertake a Foundation Certificate before going on to an undergraduate course if you've completed 12 years of schooling in China and have a minimum of IELTS (Academic) 5.0.
  • Undergraduate courses
    You can apply to study a Bachelor's degree from year one if you hold a HKDSE Diploma with required scores. Depending on the undergraduate course you applied for, the scores can range from 4, 3, 3 to 4, 5, 5 for relevant or required subjects. We also require a minimum of 4 in English for entry. You will be automatically awarded a £2,500 Academic Excellence Scholarship with the scores of 4,4,5.
  • Top-up courses
    You need to hold a College Graduation Diploma, or a BTEC Higher National Diploma or Foundation degree in a relevant subject.
  • Postgraduate courses
    You need to have a Bachelor's (Honours) degree from a recognised Hong Kong university (equivalent to upper second class of a UK degree), or a Top-up degree or university-recognised Pre-Master's Foundation programme. We award a £3,000 Academic Excellence Scholarship automatically to you if you have achieved GPA 3 out of 4 or equivalent.
  • Research programmes
    You need any postgraduate degree to be considered for a BU research programme.

You can find more information about English language requirements for entry to BU on our English language requirements page. Full information about preparatory courses is available on the Bournemouth University International College website.

If you need help with your visa or want more information about the immigration process, you can find it on our immigration information page.