Embarking upon a research degree at Bournemouth University is one of the most exciting stages of your academic career. It’s a voyage of discovery – so here at BU we want to make sure you have as much support as possible during what promises to be a life-changing experience.
We are proud to be offering a broad range of fully funded PhD studentship opportunities, strongly aligned to our key Fusion themes and BU2025 core strategic investment areas: Assistive Technology, Animation, Simulation & Visualisation, Sustainability & Low Carbon Technology and Medical Science.
This commitment to greater expansion of our research work demonstrates BU’s significant investment in our Doctoral College, supporting growth in innovation and developing future talent and expertise in our PhD students.
Here at BU, we offer you the opportunity to work with external organisations on many of our match-funded research projects. We recognise that partnering with outside companies and charities will broaden your knowledge and experience beyond academia and many of these projects allow you to participate in cutting-edge applied research areas, generating immediate and tangible societal impacts.
Be assured you will joining a world-leading research community, with the support of a team of dedicated, enthusiastic academic and professional support staff who will ensure your work is efficient, enjoyable and, most of all, successful. All of this within a fabulous location, with seven miles of award-winning sandy beaches amongst the many delights of Bournemouth which attract a vibrant and creative community.
Browse our fully funded PhD Studentships by faculty
Faculty of Health & Social Sciences
- Emerging new roles in maternity services: facilitating change in practice using Participatory Action Research
- Continuity model of midwifery care team: a new way of working – midwives views and experiences
- The development of an intervention to support the end-of-life care of hospital inpatients with dementia
- A mixed methods approach to exploring individual, organisational and environmental factors influencing the decision making process of pregnant women considering a vaginal birth after caesarean section
Faculty of Management
There are currently no studentships for this faculty, please check back later.
Faculty of Media & Communication
Faculty of Science & Technology
- Adaptive Predictive Simulation Modelling Using the Digital Twin Paradigm
- Artificial Intelligence Based Approaches for Game Design and Development
- Nature-Inspired Deep Neural Networks for Visual Recognition
- Interactive visualisation guided hybrid artificial intelligent system for insurance fraud detection
- Alternatives to expert systems for real-time character deformation
- Repurposing an API for oil drilling simulation software
- An exploration of virtual mask content generation and exhibition to wider audiences
- Process Driven Authorization
- Peer-to-Peer Distributed Business Process Management
- Numerical Simulation of Contacts Working under Mixed Lubricating Conditions
Centre for Excellence in Learning
There are currently no studentships for this Centre, please check back later.
Who is eligible to apply for a BU Studentship?
The PhD Studentships are open to UK, EU and International students. Candidates for a PhD Studentship should demonstrate outstanding qualities and be motivated to complete a PhD in 4 years and must demonstrate:
- A 1st class honours degree or a Master’s degree with distinction or equivalent Grade Point Average (GPA)
- An IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 minimum (with a minimum 6.0 in each component) for candidates for whom English is not their first language
In addition to satisfying minimum entry criteria, BU will look closely at the qualities, skills and background of each candidate and what they can bring to their chosen research project in order to ensure successful completion.
Applicants will be asked to submit an online application form and a proposal (approximately 1500 words) outlining their understanding of the project for which they are applying, the approach they would envisage taking and what qualities they will bring to the research community.
- Current BU Doctoral students are not eligible to apply for a Studentship
- Current MRes/MPhil students can apply, subject to satisfactory completion of their Research Degree prior to being able to take up the award
- PhD Studentships cannot be used to support BU staff to complete doctoral programmes
What else will you look for?
Each Studentship has its own criteria that candidates need to fulfil, in terms of knowledge and/or expertise. In addition, we will look closely at your qualities, skills and background to determine what you could bring to a specific research project.
How can I apply for a BU Studentship?
There are individual application deadlines for each Studentship, which are detailed on each studentship page. To apply, click the green Apply Now button on the Studentship page and complete our online application form. More information can be found on our How to apply pages. You can also read our proposal guidance document here.