Skip to main content

Entry requirements for non-UK students

We accept a wide range of international qualifications for study on our undergraduate courses. There are full details of the qualifications we accept for each country on the individual country pages.

English language requirements

If English is not your first language, you will need to provide us with evidence that you can read, write, listen to and speak English to the required standard for your degree course. The qualifications we will accept, as well as the standards you need to achieve, are explained in our English language requirements page. You can also find information here about our pre-sessional English courses

Academic entry requirements:

Bachelor's degrees

We accept a wide range of international qualifications for study on our undergraduate courses.

In the UK, we primarily use the UCAS Tariff to display the entry requirements for specific courses.

Find out how your qualifications equate to those awarded in the UK, please view the relevant country page to see which qualifications you will need.

Among the qualifications that we accept are:

  • Access courses - If you have completed an appropriate access course, we’ll consider it as long as it relates to your chosen programme of study at undergraduate level.
  • BU International College Foundation Certificate programme - These programmes are designed to help you succeed on your chosen course at BU.
  • Cambridge Pre-U Diploma
  • European Baccalaureate
  • High School leaving examinations - We will consider any High School leaving examinations that are considered to be the equivalent to A-level examinations in the UK.
  • International Baccalaureate - We are happy to consider students studying the International Diploma as part of the International Baccalaureate (IB). On each course page the minimum IB points required, as well as any subject-specific requirements, will be displayed. Please note that you will need to achieve the IB scores stated in your offer, as we don’t accept equivalent UCAS Tariff points for these qualifications.
  • Irish Leaving Certificate - Usually you’ll need to achieve seven passes, including four at the higher level with grade C or above.
  • Junior College Diploma.

Foundation degrees

For Foundation degrees, we will assess your academic qualifications, as well as your previous life and work experience.

Top-up degrees

We require the following qualifications for entry onto one of our undergraduate Top-up degrees (equivalent to final-year entry):

  • Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of 240 UK HE credits
  • A two-year Foundation degree with a minimum of 240 UK HE credits
  • Two years of university-level study with a minimum of 120 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits, or equivalent.