This Foundation Year will give you a grounding in creative skills to prepare you for a degree through the following core units – building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to a full degree – skip to a list of courses that offer this Foundation Year.
- Art & Design in Creative Industries: This unit is intended to give you the drawing and design skills required in order to maximise your potential on your chosen undergraduate degree. You will be introduced to the concepts of critical feedback and continuous improvement within a visual arts context.
- Algorithmic Thinking: During this unit you will develop your understanding of mathematical and logical concepts that are the foundation of computer animation, games and visual effects.
- Digital Tools: You will gain the fundamental knowledge and understanding of computers and the digital tools available in order to maximise your potential on your chosen undergraduate degree. As such, it will provide a platform between prior and future learning and enable you to gain an understanding of digital tools in the context of your career aspirations.
- Study Skills for Creative Industries: You will develop practical skills in the production, manipulation and editing of visual media and be able to demonstrate an ability to search, locate, read and understand literature and techniques relevant to the creative industries.
- Foundation Project: This unit allows you to develop a personally defined project, you can choose to focus on either a specialist area of practice, a generalist project or a complementary skill/technique that will benefit your ongoing development. You will gain essential knowledge and experience in scheduling and identification of clear milestones within your personal projects and you will benefit from communicating with an assigned supervisor throughout.
|Entry requirements for 2024 entry
|Numeracy and literacy requirements
|There are no GCSE requirements. The foundation year will cover these skills in preparation for degree study.
|For September 2024 entry
|48–72 UCAS tariff points.
|English language requirements
|If English is not your first language, you'll need to demonstrate that you have the English language capability for the Bachelor's level course you are progressing onto. Please check the relevant Bachelor's course page for the required score.
Courses you can study following this Foundation Year
Each course’s Foundation Year option has its own unique UCAS code, which is listed on the course pages below. Make sure you choose the correct code as well as the right institution code when you search for a course and fill in your application on the UCAS website. Our institution code is B50.