Why study BSc (Hons) Games Design at BU?:
- Explore level design, interactive storytelling, narrative development, interface design, games analytics, scripting for game creation, plus 3D modelling and texturing
- Taught in dedicated facilities, using the latest industry-standard software for developing games
- Opportunity to put your learning into practice by taking a 4-week work placement (as part of the 3-year course) or a 30-week placement (as part of the 4-year course)
- Benefit from our industry connections and guest lectures with games developers across the UK and overseas, including Unity, Jagex, King, Sports Interactive, Creative Assembly, Climax Studios, Playground Games, Boss Alien, Media Molecule, and others
- As well as the games industry, you’ll be prepared for a career in a range of sectors including digital technologies, architectural visualisation, mixed and virtual realities, and the wider digital creative industry
- You'll be career ready with 91% of graduates from our computer games and animation courses in employment or further study after 15 months. Entry level roles include Generalist Programmer, UX/UI Designer, Level Designer, QA Tester and Graphics Programmer (ScreenSkills)
Foundation year: We have a Foundation Year option for students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the creative skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree. If you apply to study the full degree and do not meet the academic entry requirements, our admissions team may consider your application for the Foundation Year and notify you accordingly.
For September 2024 entry: in order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. This course is currently going through this process and we will update this page in September 2023 to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded.
This course is industry-recognised by TIGA, the trade association representing the video games industry, and carries the TIGA quality mark which indicates courses producing the very best industry ready graduates. The course affords students with excellent opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaborations, which is highly valued within the game development industry.
Watch a demonstrator presentation and take a look at our facilities
Next start date:
September 2024, September 2025
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
3 years with an optional 4-week placement, or 4 years with a minimum 30-week placement. Foundation Year: 4 years full-time with an optional 4 week placement, or 5 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement
All subjects considered