Why study BA (Hons) Sociology & Social Anthropology at BU?
- This course emphasises contemporary social and political perspectives, discovering societies and cultures all over the world in the present and sometimes also in the past
- Learn from expert sociologists and social anthropologists, as well as biological and archaeological anthropologists and criminologists
- You’ll develop your skills, knowledge and employability through applying theory to contemporary, real world challenges
- Choose from either a 30-week ‘sandwich’ placement, or a shorter four-week placement – which could give you a professional skillset and crucial contacts as well as potentially making you more employable
- Develop your own piece of research based on a topic that interests you, or aligns itself with your future career or study plans, in your final year dissertation.
- Be career ready - 93% of students were in employment or further study fifteen months after graduating.
What can you achieve with a sociology degree?
This course can open up a range of career options once you graduate. You’ll develop a variety of research and analytical skills, in addition to gaining detailed knowledge of current practical social challenges and civil, critical-thinking capabilities, all skills that are sought after by employers.
Course review: in order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. This course is currently going through this process and we will update this page to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded. These changes will come into effect for all new students from September 2025. Applicants will be notified by our admissions team of any changes.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2024, September 2025
Bournemouth University, Lansdowne Campus
3 years, or 4 years including a minimum 30-week placement, Full-time
All subjects considered
For September 2024 entry: 104 - 120 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. For more information check out our full entry requirements.