BU studentships and scholarships are not the only way to fund postgraduate research degrees, as there are many external organisations that will contribute part or all of the cost if your research complements their work.
There are numerous research councils in the UK that fund world-class fundamental research. The funding opportunities for postgraduate research students are diverse, with individual research councils assessing proposals according to their own criteria. You can find information about the specific funding options on their websites:
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Other ways to source funding
You may be eligible to apply for a scholarship to fund your research through an agency or charity, such as the Leverhulme Trust or the Newby Trust. There is also an extensive range of websites that can help you search for funding opportunities specific to your area of interest.
- The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding - BU subscribe to this guide which you can access for free
- British Council
- The UK Council for International Student Affairs