Why study English at BU?
- Tailor your degree including options to study both creative or traditional units and discover the latest developments in digital media and interactive storytelling
- Showcase your writing to industry professionals through BU's annual Fresher Writing Prize and New Media Writing Prize competitions
- Gain valuable work experience and enhance your CV during a four-week or 30-week placement: past placements have included Penguin Books, BBC, Pinewood Studios, Touch Press and the Football Foundation
- Develop a range of subject-specific and transferable skills which can open the door to an exciting range of career possibilities or further study. You’ll be career-ready with 93% of our graduates in employment or further study after 15 months.
- Benefit from industry speakers sharing their writing experiences – previous guests include Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes and Stella Wisdom from the British Library.
Foundation year: We have a foundation year option for students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the media & communication skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the foundation year, you will progress to the full degree. If you apply to study the full degree and do not meet the academic entry requirements, our admissions team may consider your application for the Foundation Year and notify you accordingly.
Your degree, your choice
You’ll be able to choose from our list of units, picking a topic in each year that particularly appeals to you, and curating your own personal journey and skillset. If your passion is creative writing, you’ll get the chance to choose options related to this field, that give you a taste of what writing professionally would be like. There are also options to study abroad for a semester in Germany or Denmark.
Explore campus life and student work
Next start date:
September 2024, September 2025
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
3 years full-time with a 4-week placement, or 4 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement. Foundation year: 4 years full-time with a 4-week placement, or 5 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement
All subjects considered
For September 2024 entry: 104 - 120 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. Foundation year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points. For more information check out our full entry requirements.