Why study BSc (Hons) Software Engineering at BU?
- Use your creativity and problem-solving skills and learn how to apply them to software development principles to develop innovative solutions to real-world problems
- Explore how to design software systems so they can be easily maintained and evaluated to ensure they match user and organisational requirements
- In addition to core computing skills, you’ll gain experience of using a variety of programming languages and frameworks to develop technical systems
- You'll gain valuable work experience on your placement if you choose to take one
- Career opportunities are broad and can include roles such as computer programmer, web developer, software engineer, IT solution analyst or app developer - our graduates are highly sought after, within fifteen months of completing their course, 93% of our students are in further study or work.
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the technical skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree.
Following our recent UG course periodic review completed in 2022, we are currently working with BCS to accredit all new courses with a view for all courses to have backdated accreditation to the first year they started running.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
4 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement or 3 years full-time. You will be enrolled onto the 4-year degree, but can opt out of the placement year. Foundation Year: 5 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement or 4 years full-time.
All subjects considered
For September 2023 and September 2024 entry: 104-120 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent qualifications. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. Foundation year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points. For more information check out our full entry requirements.
International entry requirements:
For September 2023 and September 2024 entry: If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with minimum 5.5 in each component, or equivalent. For more information check out our international entry requirements.