Why study MSc/PG Dip Physician Associate Studies at BU?
- PAs are healthcare professionals who work to a medical model alongside doctors in hospitals or GP surgeries
- This course will prepare you to take a medical history, examine patients, diagnose common problems, perform procedures, and recommend treatment
- The Department of Health is committed to increasing the number of PAs in the NHS, particularly in general practice, so employment is highly likely after graduating
- Newly built skills facilities include simulated hospital wards and community home settings, allowing you to learn and practise various procedures safely
- With a blend of theory and practice, you’ll spend a minimum of 1,400 hours in a range of clinical placements such as hospitals, general practice and other community services
- Assessments will be used to consolidate learning throughout the course and in preparation for the National Examinations for Physician Associates.
The course follows the National Physician Associate Curriculum. It is represented on the National Physician Associate Schools Council and is currently undergoing General Medical Council validation.
For more information about PAs, please see the Faculty of Physician Associate website.
Explore our facilities
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Lansdowne Campus
PG Dip and MSc: 2 years full-time
Health or Science subject
A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:1 or equivalent in a required subject.
Required subjects: Health or Science related subject, e.g.: Biology, Physiology, Neuroscience, Biological Science, Microbiology, Anatomical Science, Physiotherapy, Diagnostic Imaging, Radiotherapy, Paramedic Science, Audiology, Nursing, Operating Department Practice, Optometry, Biomedicine, Biomedical Sciences, Medical Science, Clinical Psychology, Pharmacy, Sports Science.
If English is not your first language, you will need IELTS (Academic) 7.5 with a minimum of 7.0 in writing, speaking, listening and reading, or equivalent.
For more information check out our full entry requirements.
Please note that at present, graduates of UK Physician Associate Studies programmes are not eligible to work as Physician Associates in other countries.