Skip to main content

Part-time work

You may need to get a part-time job while you’re at university to help cover your living costs, or just to give you some extra spending money. 

Please note that due to Covid-19 and its impact on the UK economy, the ability to find part-time work while studying is much more difficult whether you are a UK or non-UK student. Therefore, do not expect to subsidise your living expenses while studying.

If you are able to work while you’re studying, we recommend limiting it to a maximum of 20 hours a week. If you can, find an employer who can be flexible around your studies, which means giving you fewer hours around exam time, or when you need to hand coursework in.

Working for the university

There are various jobs you can do at the university. Among the main advantages of these jobs are that we’ll understand the need to give you extra time off around your exams and you’ll never have far to travel to get to work.

You could find a job:

  • Working at one of the Students’ Union outlets
  • Working at one of the Students’ Union bars
  • As part of the BU Student Ambassador scheme

Jobs in Bournemouth

There are plenty of part-time jobs in Bournemouth in the town’s shops, bars, cafés, hotels and restaurants. Weekend and evening work is in high demand, so if you want a part-time job it’s best to start applying as early as you can.

Our Careers & Employability Service lists part-time roles, so you may find something suitable on there.

If you already have a job with a national chain, such as a supermarket or pub company, ask them whether they have any outlets in Bournemouth that you could transfer to once you start university.

Earnings and tax

On average, you can earn between £90 and £120 per week in a part-time role alongside university. You can always top this up by working extra hours during the holidays.

Remember that the amount of tax you have to pay is determined by the amount you earn across the whole year, not just each week or month. Visit the HM Revenue and Customs website for more information about paying tax while you’re a student. If you think you are paying too much tax, contact HMRC, as you may get a refund at the end of the tax year (in April).

Part-time work for international students

If you have the appropriate visa as an international student, there is nothing to stop you working part-time during term-time and full-time over the holidays.

If you require a visa to enter the UK to study, remember that you will need to show evidence that you have sufficient funding to cover your tuition fees and living costs. Although you may be able to get a part-time job once you are here, you will not be granted a visa if you need a part-time job to help fund your studies.

Please remember that due to the current global pandemic, it may be difficult to find part-time work to supplement your university living costs.