If you have a disability, mental health issue or long-term illness, you can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance to cover the extra study costs relating to your disability.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) are grants provided by the UK government on top of your other student finance that are only available to UK students. You don’t need to repay them. You may be eligible for funding if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition or specific learning difficulty, including dyslexia or dyspraxia, which is defined as having a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. Any impairment will be considered long term if:

  • It has lasted for at least 12 months
  • It is likely to last for at least 12 months
  • It is likely to last for the rest of the person’s life.

You can get help with specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability, as well as non-medical helpers such as a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.

The amount you receive will depend on your individual needs. Household income is not taken into consideration. You can apply for DSA as part of your application when you apply for student finance through Student Finance England. When your eligibility for a DSA is confirmed, Student Finance England will work with you to get a 'needs assessment' where they will determine what equipment and other support you can get for your course.