Skip to main content

NHS finance information

If you’re starting a nursing, midwifery or allied health professional pre-registration course* in England, you’ll need a Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loan as the funding has changed for NHS courses. The latest information can be found on the Funding Clinic website.

*Allied health professional pre-registration courses include BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy, BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy and BSc (Hons) Operating Department Practice.

Can I afford to go to university?

Yes! Many students worry where they’ll find the money from but remember, you don’t have to pay anything upfront and you won’t have to pay anything back until you’re earning over £25,725.

The repayments are set at 9% of your salary over £25,725 and are automatically taken from your wages each month.

If this is your second degree, your loans will be combined and you’ll pay back 9% of your salary over £25,725.

If you’re concerned and want to find out more, it’s worth reading MoneySavingExpert’s Mythbusting article, which looks at the realities of student loans in more detail.

How much are my tuition fees?

For September 2020 entry:

  • UK/EU students: £9,250
  • International students: £15,000

What loans are available?

  • Tuition Fee Loan: This covers the full cost of tuition fees
  • Maintenance Loan (for 2020 entry, 45+ week courses):
    • Students studying outside of London – up to £11,338
    • Students living at home – up to £9,177
    • Students studying in London – up to £14,804

You’ll repay these loans once you’re earning over £25,725.

This tuition fee loan for healthcare courses is available to students if you've already studied another degree. 

Is there support for childcare?

Student Finance England will provide a Childcare Grant of:

  • Up to £174.22 a week for one child
  • Up to £298.69 a week for two children or more

You’ll also be able to apply for a Parents’ Learning Allowance of up to £1,766 a year.

These figures are for 2020/21 entry.

This money doesn’t need to be paid back, find out more about the Childcare Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance

What about travel expenses?

Similar to the Practice Placement Expenses detailed in the NHS Bursary Scheme, the new Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses will be available to reimburse excess costs incurred when undertaking practical training on placements. Eligible students will need to complete a claim form which will need to be approved by your university and this will then come through to the NHSBSA who will process for payment.

Information regarding Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses, including how to apply, is available via the NHS Learning Support Fund.

What other funding is available?

The Department of Health could provide access to exceptional support of up to £3,000 per year for those students in severe hardship.

Universities offer additional support to their students. BU offers the following to eligible students:

  • BU Maintenance Bursary 
  • BU Care Leavers Bursary
  • BU Academic Excellence Scholarship
  • BU Sport Scholarship 
  • BU Music Scholarship 

None of our scholarships or bursaries have to be paid back, find out more here.

We’ll also provide you with your uniforms.

NHS Learning Support Fund

If you are a student on an NHS course, you may be eligible for additional NHS support from their Learning Support Fund. Part of the support the NHS offer is the Exceptional Support Fund for students facing financial difficulty. Please note if you wish to apply for the Exceptional Support Fund, you must have applied and received a decision from the BU Financial Support Fund first. 

Can international students apply?

Yes. You will need to fund your own tuition fees which will be £15,050.