Skip to main content

Financial support

In addition to the loans, bursaries and scholarships available, you may be eligible for extra financial help depending on your personal circumstances.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) are grants provided by the UK government on top of your other student finance that are only available to UK students. You don’t need to repay them. You may be eligible for funding if you have a disability, which is defined as having a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. Any impairment will be considered long term if:

  • it has lasted for at least 12 months
  • it is likely to last for at least 12 months
  • it is likely to last for the rest of the person’s life.

The amount you receive will depend on your individual needs. Household income is not taken into consideration.

Financial support available at BU

If you experience financial difficulties once you are at university, there is other help available. The AskBU and SUBU Advice teams can help you find solutions to your financial problems.

We provide emergency funding and support in the form of loans and grants to UK students who are struggling financially. Please note that you need to be enrolled at BU to apply for any of the following.

  • BU Financial Support Fund – this is non-repayable support that is designed to assist you if you are experiencing financial difficulties during your degree. It is available for UK students only and you must meet the eligibility criteria
  • Small emergency grant – this provides very short-term assistance to students with little or no funds remaining. It’s usually paid in denominations of £15 in the form of supermarket vouchers. It’s available to any BU student. You don’t have to pay this back, but if you are able to, it will help support other students in the future
  • Emergency loan – this is essentially a short-term advance on your mainstream student funding that is designed to last four weeks. You will need to pay this back once your student loan has been paid. It is only available to UK students and you’ll need to provide details that you have applied for the relevant student support.

Students with children or dependent adults

You can apply for: