In addition to the loans, bursaries and scholarships available, you may be eligible for extra financial help depending on your personal circumstances.
Disabled Students’ Allowances
Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) are grants provided by the UK government on top of your other student finance that are only available to UK students. You don’t need to repay them. You may be eligible for funding if you have a disability, which is defined as having a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. Any impairment will be considered long term if:
- it has lasted for at least 12 months
- it is likely to last for at least 12 months
- it is likely to last for the rest of the person’s life.
The amount you receive will depend on your individual needs. Household income is not taken into consideration.
Students with children or dependent adults
NHS Training Grant
Nursing, midwifery and other allied health professional students for September 2021 entry may be eligible for a non-repayable government training grant of at least £5,000 a year.
Courses eligible for the training grant:
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Children's & Young People's Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing (Mental Health Nursing students may be eligible for an additional £1,000 specialist subject payment)
- BSc (Hons) Midwifery
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy
- BSc (Hons) Operating Department Practice (ODP).
Financial support available at BU
If you experience financial difficulties once you’re at university, the AskBU and SUBU Advice teams can help you find solutions to your problems. There are various types of financial support funding available from BU for UK students who are struggling financially; including the BU Financial Support Fund, Small Emergency Grant, Emergency Loan, and the Placement Opportunity Fund. You can find out more about what’s available on the Financial Support page, including external and postgraduate funding guidance.