Why study BSc (Hons) Medical Science at BU?
- Focus on the cutting-edge science that underpins modern medicine, fostering new discoveries and technologies which improve healthcare
- Learn how our bodies work, how disease is treated and how new technology is evolving in this field
- As your degree progresses, choose to concentrate your learning on human health and disease or the role of psychology in medical science via the optional units offered
- Develop skills to evaluate scientific literature to understand how evidence-based decisions are made in medical sciences and apply these to conduct your final year research
- We have recently invested in new state-of-the-art laboratory facilities so that you will have the best possible learning environment for developing the necessary practical skills for a career in medical science and the various opportunities it brings
- You have the option to undertake a placement, allowing you to put your skills into practice ensuring that when you graduate, you'll be career ready
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the scientific skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree.
Your degree will be centred around developing the skills you need to work in professional practice, as well as equipping you with a variety of transferable skills that will give you a range of career options. We expect our graduates will find work in scientific, technical or research fields relating to their chosen pathway, for example:
- Developing augmented reality to transform surgical procedures
- Biopsychosocial - further research into the understanding of the human condition.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
3 years full-time, or 4 years full-time with one placement year. Students enrolled on the foundation year complete an additional year at the start.
All subjects considered
For September 2023 and September 2024 entry: 104 - 120 tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. Foundation Year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points. For more information check out our entry requirements.
International entry requirements:
For September 2023 and September 2024 entry: If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with minimum 5.5 in each of the 4 components or equivalent. For more information check out our international entry requirements.