Why study BSc (Hons) Product Design at BU?
- Learn how to manufacture physical models and prototypes, as well as produce industry standard computer models
- Use state of the art facilities including a specialist CAD laboratory and our Innovation Centre
- Spend your third year on a work placement, gaining at least 30 weeks experience in a relevant industry
- Design your own original product and make a working prototype in your final year and exhibit it at our annual Festival of Design & Engineering
- Choose to extend your undergraduate study and continue to the award of Master of Design (MDes) Product Design
- Graduate with a range of skills allowing you to go into a range of careers in the industry from a designer through to production manager - 95% of our graduates are in employment or further education after 15 months.
The BSc (Hons) Product Design focuses on the technological aspect of design whereas the BA focuses on the aesthetic and contextual issues relating to product design. You don’t need to decide which route you’ll take until your final year.
Design & Engineering facilities tour
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers to fully meet the requirements for Registered Product Designer (RProdDes) registration for intakes between 2019-2023. Accredited courses are fully supported by the Institution, and IED student membership is free to full-time students for the duration of their studies.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
4 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement or 3 years full-time. You will be enrolled onto the 4-year degree, but can opt out of the placement year.
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers to fully meet the requirements for Registered Product Designer (RProdDes) registration for 2019-2023 intake years
All subjects considered