Why study BA (Hons) Product Design at BU?:
- Graduate with a balanced view of the product development process, learning all the practical and theoretical skills necessary to work in the sector
- Use state of the art facilities including a specialist CAD laboratory and our manufacturing design centre
- Spend your third year on a work placement, gaining at least 30 weeks experience in a relevant industry
- Design your own original product and make a working prototype in your final year and exhibit it at our annual Festival of Design & Engineering
- Choose to extend your undergraduate study and continue to the award of Master of Design (MDes) Product Design
- Be career-ready like 95% of our graduates in employment or further study 15 months after graduation, with skills allowing you to go into a variety of careers in the industry from a designer through to production manager.
The BA (Hons) Product Design focuses on the aesthetic and contextual issues relating to product design whereas the BSc focuses on the technological aspect of design. You don’t need to decide which route you’ll take until your final year.
Design & Engineering facilities tour
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers to fully meet the requirements for Registered Product Designer (RProdDes) registration for intakes between 2019-2023. Accredited courses are fully supported by the Institution, and IED student membership is free to full-time students for the duration of their studies.
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
4 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement or 3 years full-time. You will be enrolled onto the 4-year degree, but can opt out of the placement year
Institution of Engineering Designers
All subjects considered
For September 2023 entry: 104 - 120 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. For more information check out our full entry requirements.