Why study BSc (Hons) Design Engineering at BU?
- Use the latest solid modelling, rendering and product simulation tools to create and evaluate your own designs
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the engineering principles underlying the product development process
- Access to cutting-edge facilities in our Innovation Centre including 3D scanners and printers, modern manufacturing & technical workshops and prototyping facilities
- Spend your third year on a work placement, gaining at least 30 weeks experience in a relevant industry
- Display your design project in your final year and exhibit it at our annual Festival of Design & Engineering
- This course is ranked 9th in its subject area according to the 2022 Guardian League Tables and received an impressive 95% of our graduates in employment or further education after 15 months.
Foundation year: We have a foundation year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the engineering and technology skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the foundation year, you will progress to the full degree. If you apply to study the full degree and do not meet the academic entry requirements, our admissions team may consider your application for the Foundation Year and notify you accordingly.
Studying Design Engineering at BU
Design & Engineering Facilities tour
The BSc (Hons) Design Engineering degree is currently seeking re-accreditation by the Institution of Engineering Designers and Institution of Mechanical Engineers in order to meet the academic requirement, in full, for Incorporated Engineer registration for intakes between 2024-2028. The Foundation Year is won't be accredited.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2024, September 2025
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
4 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement or 3 years full-time. You will be enrolled onto the 4-year degree, but can opt out of the placement year. Foundation year: 5 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement or 4 years full-time.
Seeking re-accreditation from the Institution of Engineering Designers and Institution of Mechanical Engineers
All subjects considered
For September 2024 entry: 104-120 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. For more information check out our full entry requirements.