Why study MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering at BU?
- As well as giving you a solid grounding in engineering, the course provides an inspirational insight into emerging technologies within the sector and how to apply them to real-world situations
- Learn from industry-seasoned academics, practitioners, and guest speakers
- You’ll have access to the state-of-the-art Innovation Centre, a designated space for Design and Engineering students
- Take part in a career-affirming minimum 30-week period in a work placement, helping you to make contacts and boost your potential within the profession
- Exhibit your work at the Festival of Design & Engineering, one of BU’s longest-running events, giving the public and potential employers an insight into your work.
- You'll be career-ready with 95% of graduates from the course in employment or further study after 15 months.
Foundation year: We have a foundation year option for students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the engineering and technology skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the foundation year, you will progress to the full degree.
Studying BEng/MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
Accreditated by Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) and Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) in order to fully meet the exemplifying academic benchmark requirements for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng). The Foundation Year is not accredited.
In order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. This course is currently going through this process, and we will update this page to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded. These changes will come into effect for all new students from September 2025 entry. Applicants will be notified by our admissions team of any changes.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2024, September 2025
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
MEng (Hons) 5 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement or 4 years full-time. You will be enrolled onto the 5-year degree, but can opt out of the placement year. Foundation year: 6 years full-time with a 30-week placement or 5 years full-time.
Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) and Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
Mathematics, and a Science or Technology subject
For September 2024 entry: 120 - 128 tariff points including a minimum of 2 A levels in required subjects, or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma DDM in a required subject. T-Level: Merit (120 UCAS tariff points) in a required subject. Foundation year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points.For more information check out our full entry requirements.