BU’s vision is to be recognised worldwide as a leading university for inspiring learning, advancing knowledge and enriching society through the Fusion of education, research and practice. This requires us to innovate and continue to develop excellent teaching practices.
The Centre for Fusion Learning, Innovation and Excellence (FLIE) – formed in spring 2019 and previously known as the Centre for Excellence in Learning (CEL) – supports staff in the design, delivery and evaluation of excellent and innovative education practice across BU.
FLIE provides targeted staff development for academic teams through online materials, masterclasses and bespoke sessions towards consistently excellent pedagogic practice.
The team works with faculties on the implementation of BU’s academic policies and practice, for example, the design and initial implementation of the annual Peer Reflections on Practice (PREP).
They also work with Academic Quality, other Professional Services and the Students’ Union at Bournemouth University (SUBU) to support staff and student initiatives, which promote excellent and innovative teaching and learning, for example, the review and roll-out of the Programme Approval and Review Toolkit.
In addition, FLIE will support students by responding to queries via the Technology Enhanced Learning Innovation & Development (TELID) service desk and signposting them to other support as needed. One area where the team supports an excellent student learning experience is through an enhanced assessment and feedback process.
Academic members of FLIE engage fully with research, including submitting research funding bids and publications, supervising Postgraduate Research students, engaging with Unit of Assessment 23 (UoA23), which will form part of BU’s REF submission, and developing impact case studies for REF 2021. The team also works with professional practice, supporting the dissemination and presentation of research to a variety of publics and engage with local communities where appropriate.
Dr Gelareh Roushan
Dr Roushan is the Head of the Centre for Fusion Learning, Innovation and Excellence. Her area of research is in Innovation Science and she has published and presented on digital solutions to meet emerging business and educational requirements for over 20 years.
Our latest blogs
- Attendance capture support and guidance Wed, 20 Sep 2023
- Applying for HEA Fellowship Tue, 19 Sep 2023
- Stay up to date with the Pulse app Mon, 18 Sep 2023
- Brightspace changes and support for AY 23/24 Tue, 12 Sep 2023
- Pin announcements ‘to top’ in Brightspace Thu, 07 Sep 2023
- Introducing Mentimeter to Increase Student Engagement – Wed 6th Sep Fri, 25 Aug 2023
- Brightspace Lessons content experience workshops Wed, 16 Aug 2023
- Improving student engagement and interaction on Brightspace – Meet H5P Wed, 09 Aug 2023
- Fusion Learning Conference – resources site Wed, 02 Aug 2023
- Teaching Computation Made Easy, with MATLAB – upcoming webinars Wed, 19 Jul 2023