BU’s vision is to be recognised worldwide as a leading university for inspiring learning, advancing knowledge and enriching society through the Fusion of education, research and practice. This requires us to innovate and continue to develop excellent teaching practices.
The Centre for Fusion Learning, Innovation and Excellence (FLIE) – formed in spring 2019 and previously known as the Centre for Excellence in Learning (CEL) – supports staff in the design, delivery and evaluation of excellent and innovative education practice across BU.
FLIE provides targeted staff development for academic teams through online materials, masterclasses and bespoke sessions towards consistently excellent pedagogic practice.
The team works with faculties on the implementation of BU’s academic policies and practice, for example, the design and initial implementation of the annual Peer Reflections on Practice (PREP).
They also work with Academic Quality, other Professional Services and the Students’ Union at Bournemouth University (SUBU) to support staff and student initiatives, which promote excellent and innovative teaching and learning, for example, the review and roll-out of the Programme Approval and Review Toolkit.
In addition, FLIE will support students by responding to queries via the Technology Enhanced Learning Innovation & Development (TELID) service desk and signposting them to other support as needed. One area where the team supports an excellent student learning experience is through an enhanced assessment and feedback process.
Academic members of FLIE engage fully with research, including submitting research funding bids and publications, supervising Postgraduate Research students, engaging with Unit of Assessment 23 (UoA23), which will form part of BU’s REF submission, and developing impact case studies for REF 2021. The team also works with professional practice, supporting the dissemination and presentation of research to a variety of publics and engage with local communities where appropriate.
Dr Gelareh Roushan
Dr Roushan is the Head of the Centre for Fusion Learning, Innovation and Excellence. Her area of research is in Innovation Science and she has published and presented on digital solutions to meet emerging business and educational requirements for over 20 years.
Our latest blogs
- Fusion Learning Colloquium 30th June – key dates Tue, 24 May 2022
- Learning at Work Week continues for Bournemouth University Thu, 19 May 2022
- Turnitin Similarity Report Checklist Tue, 17 May 2022
- FLIE Education Enhancement Workshops – June Mon, 16 May 2022
- Virtual reality Student experience Thu, 12 May 2022
- Fusion Learning Colloquium – 30th June 2022 Wed, 11 May 2022
- Fusion Learning Colloquium – 30th June 2022 Fri, 29 Apr 2022
- Education Enhancement Workshops – May Wed, 27 Apr 2022
- SciTech Undergraduate Awarded Associate HEA Fellow Tue, 26 Apr 2022
- Large file submissions via Brightspace Mon, 25 Apr 2022