We have signed up to five national equality schemes, which reflect sector practice and our commitment to making BU a welcoming place to work and study. These schemes are:
- Disability Confident - We have achieved Disability Confident status, a quality mark awarded by the Department of Work and Pensions for our positive commitment to the employment, retention, training and career development of disabled employees. You can find out more about our commitments under this scheme on the government website.
- Mindful Employer charter - We signed this charter in 2010 and take our commitment as an employer who is positive about mental health seriously. By joining this scheme, we demonstrated our open and accessible policies, and showed that we value the contribution of every one of our employees. Learn more about what it means to be an Mindful Employer on the scheme’s website.
- Stonewall - We have become a Stonewall Global Diversity Champion because of the commitment at BU to being an inclusive organisation. Being a member of Stonewall provides the university with the tools to take a strategic and structured approach to LGBT equality initiatives globally. Find out more about Stonewall.
- DisabledGo - We work closely with this organisation to provide detailed accessibility information about all of the university’s campuses, buildings and facilities. The DisabledGo website has comprehensive accessibility listings for the university.
Athena SWAN - We are a member of the Athena SWAN Charter, a scheme that recognises excellence in employment across the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) in higher education. In 2015, Athena SWAN expanded its charter to recognise work in Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Business and Law. We hold a Bronze Award from Athena SWAN, recognising our commitment to tackling gender inequality in higher education. You can read the full charter principles and find out more about the three levels of Athena SWAN awards (Bronze, Silver and Gold) on the Equality Challenge website, or read more about our commitment to Athena SWAN.
- Time to Change - We have signed the Time to Change Employer Pledge, a scheme that aims to tackle the stigma and discrimination around mental health, particularly in the workplace. Find out more about the Time to Change campaign on the scheme's website.
- Race Equality Charter - BU became a member of the Race Equality Charter in 2016. It is an initiative managed by the Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) and aims to improve the representation, progression and success of minority ethnic staff and students within higher education.