Friday 20th January saw the inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump. A panel of BU academics including Shelley Thompson, Dan Weissmann, Yeganeh Morakabati and Pawel Surowiec for a Facebook Live discussion on Friday 20 January, 2pm about the legacy of Obama, the US election and what the inauguration of President-elect Trump will bring.
The panel comprised:
- Dr Yeganeh Morakabati, whose research looks into political unrest and its effects on tourism
- Dr Pawel Surowiec, whose research focuses on the interplay between global governance, media and public opinion
- Dr Shelley Thompson, politics programme leader, whose work centres on media framing of social and political issues.
- Dan Weissmann, an associate lecturer from the Faculty of Media and Communication, previously a politics student at BU
Previously BU Live has covered the Olympic Legacy Facebook Live, with questions sourced on the BU Facebook page.
Conversation touch points in the discussion included:
- Obama’s Legacy
- Trump controversies
- Britain ‘at front of queue’ for Brexit deal
- Economies – ‘rust belt’ America
- Law & Terrorism, Nuclear arsenal
- Climate Change
- America - a divided & disillusioned nation
Several questions came in live via the broadcast. If you have any questions or topics that you’d like a panel to discuss in the future then please send them to [email protected].
The livestream is also available here on facebook.