The new version of the Principles of Assessment Design policy makes some important changes to the way that assessment is structured at BU. Key changes include:
- The typical assessment load for a 20 credit unit will be reduced from 5000 words equivalence to 3000 words
- Dissertation and major project units will have a word count equivalence of 5000 words per 20 credits
- There will be a maximum of two formal elements of assessment for each 20 credit unit
- There will be no informal sub-elements of assessment
- Opportunities for formative assessment that will support your learning will be increased. Formative assessment helps you understand your progress, but doesn’t count towards final marks.
In line with the Student Agreement, students are being consulted on the changes for their specific programme of study.
The consultation opened in November 2018 and closes at 5pm on 18 January 2019. If the consultation for your course is currently open, we will have sent you an email to tell you. Please log in to Brightspace, where you can see the details of the changes and can confirm your acceptance of them. Please do this before 5pm on 18 January.
Other courses are being considered for changes too and details of these will be provided as appropriate later in the year.
If you have any questions relating to the consultation, please speak to your Programme Leader.