Through the Santander Scholarship, BU is offering over 40 funded international remote opportunities to help undergraduate students develop their digital skills, improve their employability, and enhance their global mindset this summer.
There are three different categories to choose from and if successful, funding will be awarded to contribute to or fully pay for one of the selected courses or internships.
Information about the three opportunities available:
- Opportunity A – Remote digital skills course with Pagoda Projects
- Opportunity B – International remote internship with Think Pacific in Fiji
- Opportunity C – International remote internships with selected providers
To apply for one of the opportunities above please read through all the eligibility criteria and complete an application form by 23.00 on Monday 3 May 2021 (BST).
You can only apply to one opportunity (A, B or C), so do take the time to read through all the information available and make your decision before submitting your application. Make sure that you provide all the necessary information correctly, incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be processed.
Online application forms:
- Apply for Category A – Remote digital skills course with Pagoda Projects
- Apply for Category B – International remote internship with Think Pacific in Fiji
- Apply for Category C – International remote Internships with selected providers
If you have any questions or require further information please contact the Global Engagement Mobility Team at Internationalgrants@bournemouth.ac.uk.
To be eligible for the Santander Scholarship, you must:
- Be a BU student. You can apply for the scholarship if you are a BU full-time student undertaking a Foundation, Diploma, or Undergraduate degree. Unfortunately, this excludes franchise, validation, and shared delivery courses as well as off-campus delivery programmes.
- Meet one of the following widening participation criteria:
- Have a family income of £25,000 or below*
- Have received a BU Maintenance Bursary for the current 2020/21 academic year
- Have a family income over £25,000* and one or more of the following:
- Be a mature student – HESA benchmark 21 or over
- Have an additional learning need/disability
- Be a care leaver
- Be from a low participation neighbourhood
- Be a Black Asian or Minority Ethnic student
- Be the first in your family to attend university
- Be a female student taking a STEM subject (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics)
- Be of refugee status
*As assessed by Student Finance England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland
How will I be selected?
We will assess your application based on how well you demonstrate:
- How the virtual programme will help you develop professionally and improve skills relevant to your career goals
- How the programme will enhance your intercultural competence and global awareness
- Your commitment to completing the programme.
Students applying for ‘Opportunity C’ will also be asked to ‘describe your perfect host company/opportunity for an internship this summer’. This information will be shared with the provider or organisation hosting your international remote internship.
When will I find out if I am successful? And next steps
By 10 May 2021 you will receive an email confirming the outcome of your application and informing you of any next steps. If successful, you will receive the funding directly from BU. It is your responsibility to ensure the funding received is paid to the organisation or provider before any given deadlines. Activities must start before 1 September 2021.
Being accepted for a Santander Scholarship is an amazing opportunity. Please note, it does not guarantee that the remote internship will contribute towards your BU degree. Please check with your Placement Co-ordinator to see if the selected internship could be approved as a BU placement.
Meet the Organisations at BU Career Ready Week
Each of the organisations will be hosting a session during BU Career Ready Week on the 30 April for you to find out more information and ask any questions before submitting your application. Full details about the sessions and how to book a place are available on the MyCareerHub website.