The Story 2 Remember team aims to create a toolkit to help improve communication between family carers and people with Alzheimer's disease, using role plays and storytelling and a public policy document for creating dementia-friendly communities and institutions.
The project has been co-funded the European Commission’s Erasmus+ Programme. It will be piloted in four European countries: Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, and the United Kingdom. The partner organisations are:
- The Romanian Alzheimer Society,
- Habilitas – Center for Resources and Professional Training,
- Gaiety School of Acting – The National Theatre School of Ireland,
- Alzheimer Bulgaria Association, Alzheimer Hellas – The Greek Association of Alzheimer Disease and Related Disorders,
- Bournemouth University.
Together, the project partners aim to create the following materials:
- A booklet, entitled "Life in a story: Creative arts and storytelling use for Alzheimer Disease patients’ and carers’ support in UK, Greece, Romania, and Bulgaria."
- A training programme using theatre and storytelling, targeting health and social care professionals to help them deliver better support for older people with Alzheimer's Disease.
- A toolkit for family carers – improving communication between family carers and persons diagnosed with dementia, through role-play and storytelling.
- Policy recommendation for creating dementia-friendly communities/institutions in terms of raising awareness and integrating tools as creative arts in the care of people with Alzheimer's Disease.