To verify the approvals you require and whether your study would be deemed research in an NHS setting, the below assessment tools can help:

  • Is my study research? Sometimes what is deemed research at BU, is not classed as such within the NHS. The tool can help decide for you, as well as the Defining Research table.
  • Do I need NHS REC approval? – in the majority of cases, you will need to apply to the NHS Research Ethics Service for approval for your project. This tool helps you decide if this is a requirement. All health research taking place in the NHS/healthcare settings require Health Research Authority approval.           Email Clinical Research for further guidance.
  • Do I need a clinical trial authorisation from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)? Get in touch with Clinical Research as early as possible if you will be researching with medicinal products or devices.