There are plenty of ways to have international experiences and gain intercultural competencies that don't involve a formal academic or professional commitment. You are welcome to organise your own activity that allows you to travel overseas. Among the options open to you are volunteering, field trips, short courses (i.e. language or summer schools), conferences and independent projects.
In many cases, these activities are facilitated by external organisations that may not necessarily be endorsed by BU, so it is important that you do your research carefully to ensure you have a valuable experience with tangible outcomes.
Funding available for international opportunities
If you decide to undertake an opportunity abroad you might be able to benefit from funding to contribute towards some of the costs of your activity
- BU Turing Scheme funding is available to all BU students and recent graduates undertaking mobilities globally with a duration between 4 weeks and 12 months, between September and August.
- If you would like to know more information about the Turing Scheme funding and the eligibility and quality assessment requirements, please visit the relevant web pages or email the team at: [email protected].
For further advice
If you have any queries regarding international activities at BU, please email the Global Engagement Team at [email protected].
Want to drop-in?
Our drop-in sessions are every Monday (virtual/in-person) and Wednesday (in person) afternoons during term time. The sessions are open to all students wanting to find out about opportunities to study and work overseas during your degree and the funding available to support you
- Mondays 1pm - 5pm: Join us online via Microsoft Teams (MS Teams), search “BU Study and Work Overseas Drop-in” in MS Teams or access the session in MS Teams
- Mondays 1pm - 3pm: Visit us in person in the Opportunity Hub, Bournemouth Gateway Building, Lansdowne Campus. Study abroad | Bournemouth University
- Wednesdays 1pm - 5pm: Visit us in person at The Career Zone, in The Hub, Poole House, Talbot Campus.
- Outside term time – you can also arrange a meeting with the Global Engagement Team during vacations by emailing [email protected].