Clearing 2021: This course (including the Foundation Year option) is now full for September 2021 entry. You may still apply, but your application will be held on a waiting list. We’ll contact you if a space becomes available and your application is being considered. Call us on +44 (0)1202 966777 or apply online. You can also explore our other Health & Social Care vacancies in Clearing.
Why study BSc (Hons) Midwifery at BU?
- You can opt to study at either of our campuses – Bournemouth or Portsmouth.
- With a strong emphasis on women-centred care, the course offers an equal balance of theory and practice.
- 50% of the course will be spent in practice placements, in community and hospital settings, where you’ll learn from your interactions with women, families, midwives and other health professionals.
- You’ll be introduced to new equipment and skills in our simulation facilities, including a birthing suite, where you can familiarise yourself with techniques prior to going into practice.
- Learn from experienced and knowledgeable registered midwives and other healthcare practitioners.
Funding support: Midwifery students may be eligible for a non-repayable government training grant of at least £5,000 a year. Find out more about the funding.
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the scientific skills needed to prepare you for the Midwifery degree, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree and begin your Midwifery study. The Foundation Year will be based at the Talbot Campus, Bournemouth. If you wish to study the degree at the Portsmouth Campus, you will be able to choose to this study location upon completing the foundation year in Bournemouth.
This course is accredited by UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative and the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC), meeting their newest curriculum requirements for midwifery education. Please note that the Foundation Year part of the course does not have these accreditations.
Explore our facilities and see more of the course
Next start date:
September 2021, September 2022
Bournemouth University, Lansdowne Campus, or St Mary's Community Health Campus, Portsmouth (please only apply for one). Foundation year: Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
3 years, including mandatory placements or 4 years with the Foundation Year (1 year, followed by 3 years including mandatory placements)
Nursing & Midwifery Council, UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative
Applied Human Biology, Applied Science, Biology, Chemistry, Health & Social Care, Human Biology, Physics, Psychology, Sociology.
For September 2021 and September 2022 entry: 128 - 144 tariff points to include a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent including 32 points in a required subject. BTEC Extended Diploma of DDM in a required subject. Foundation Year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points.
For more information check out our full entry requirements.