Counselling psychology uses theory and research in therapy to help clients with a range of difficult life issues and/or mental health conditions. A particular strength of a degree in Psychology with Counselling is the excellent communication skills and awareness of diversity you will develop. This will be an advantage should you wish to go on to train as a Clinical Psychologist, counsellor, or work in other roles requiring excellent communication skills, such as sales and marketing.
This course, fully accredited by the BPS, will help you to develop a well-rounded knowledge of all areas of psychology, with particular strengths in reflective practice and person-centred communication skills. We aim to develop individuals with a professional work ethic, who are able to apply theory and research to practice.
This course offers an optional 30-week placement in industry after your second year. This will give you essential real-world experience, which will enable you to put your theory and skills into practice. It will also give you the chance to begin building a network of professional contacts –vital for successfully launching a career.
What makes this course different
- Accredited by the The British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Lectures from members of staff with real-world experience
- Focus on reflective practice
- Work placement option in the third year
- Excellent student support system
- Emphasis on the development of vocationally relevant skills
- Research-inspired teaching
- Research Apprenticeship Scheme in the second year
- Choice of option modules for in-depth study of specialist topics in the final year
- State of the art facilities
Next start date:
September 2020, September 2021
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
3 years, or 4 years with a minimum 30-week placement
The British Psychological Society (BPS)
All subjects considered
September 2020 entry: 112-128 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM.