Delivered by the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA), the MA Digital Effects course will provide you with a strong theoretical and technical underpinning for the principal areas of study focusing on the integration of computer graphics into film footage.
This is a truly international course, attracting students from all over the world with a diverse range of cultures and identities. We aim to take you from no experience to cinema standard photorealism within the first semester and to provide you with the skills and opportunities to realise your ideas into full production sequences that demonstrate a clear mastery of the subject. By the end of the course, you’ll be well prepared for an exciting and rewarding career in the VFX and Animation industry.
- Become proficient in acquisition filming, 3D animation and 2D compositing, facilitating your understanding of the entire digital effects pipeline
- Explore toolsets such as dynamics, green screen, tracking and digital assets in order to push yourself and your work to the next level of visual success
- Undertake multiple projects both individually and alongside students from across the NCCA Master's courses in 3D Computer Animation and Computer Animation and Visual Effects
- Benefit from visiting speaker talks from industry specialists, including some of our successful alumni. Graduates have worked on many award-winning films such as Gravity, Avatar, Inception, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Black Panther as well as prolific television series such as Game of Thrones
- Undertake a Master's project with dedicated production time to create a substantial and original digital effects project in preparation for the end of year degree show attended by top industry recruiters
- Access industry-standard facilities including a new green screen and motion capture studio, as well as animation laboratories, equipped with industry-standard software Houdini and Nuke
- Attend BU's BFX Festival, the UK's largest visual effects, computer games & animation festival featuring a fantastic line-up of speakers, masterclasses, exhibitions, screenings and networking events
- BU is ranked 4th in the top 25 animation schools and colleges in the world, 3nd in Europe and 1st in the UK (Animation Career Review 2020).
Watch the course overview presentation from Course Leader, Phil Spicer, to find out more.
For September 2021 entry: In order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses.
This course is currently going through this process and we will update this page in November 2020 to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded.
Next start date:
September 2021, September 2022
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
1 year full-time
A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2 in any subject. For more information see our full entry requirements.
International entry requirements:
If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in writing, speaking, listening and reading. For more information see our full entry requirements.