Why study MSc Computer Animation & Visual Effects at BU?
- Apply technical, mathematical, and algorithmic skills to develop tools to aid in the production of animation and games artefacts
- Apply software to develop techniques in C++ to test new algorithms, write shaders to support rendering, and develop scripts and tools to create new effects
- Attend visiting speaker talks from industry specialists, including some of our successful alumni
- Collaborate with students across the NCCA Master’s courses providing a realistic setting to discover what it’s like working with other creative people and to a strict timescale
- Undertake a Masters project in preparation for the end of year degree show attended by top industry recruiters
- Access industry-standard facilities including animation laboratories, equipped with industry-standard software including Maya and Houdini.
Study at the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA)
The NCCA is one of the most established and highly regarded centres for computer graphics and animation education and research. As one of very few research-intensive animation centres in the UK, our expertise not only ensures our courses remain at the forefront of education, but also helps to define new industry practices.
The NCCA is ranked as the UK’s top animation school, second in Europe and third internationally (Animation Career Review 2023 International Animation School Rankings).
This course is industry-recognised by ScreenSkills, the industry-led skills body for the UK’s screen-based industries, and carries the ScreenSkills Select quality-mark which indicates courses best suited to prepare students for a career in the screen industries.
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
1 year full-time including an optional 3-month placement during the Masters Project
For September 2024 entry: Maths, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, Software Engineering, Games Development, Computer Animation Technical Arts, Graduates of NCCA UG courses also considered
For September 2023 entry: A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2, or equivalent in any subject. A portfolio is also required in support of your application. For more information see our full entry requirements.
For September 2024 entry: A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2, or equivalent is required in a relevant subject. A portfolio is not required in support of your application. For more information see our full entry requirements.
International entry requirements:
IELTS (Academic) 6.5 or above with a minimum of 6.0 in each component of writing, speaking, listening and reading. For more information see our full entry requirements.