Microsoft application issue now resolved
You may have recently noticed some issues on Windows 10 pcs across campus, where users were asked to sign in to Office365 to use desktop applications such as Microsoft PowerPoint or Word. This issue has now been resolved and you should be able to access and use these applications as normal, without the need to sign in again.
MacOS Catalina (10.15) has recently been released by Apple. It is 64-bit only, which means that any 32-bit applications will not work. This MacOS version is unsupported on the BU campus and is not used in the student labs. MacOS Catalina has been restricted, which is intended to prevent a BU owned device from installing it. A full ‘Time Machine’ backup is always recommended before making any change to a MacOS, so that users can go back to a working version if compatibility issues arise.
We have identified that the following BU applications are not compatible:
- Equitrac (printing) does not currently have a 64-bit version available, so updating a device to MacOS Catalina will prevent users from connecting with the print system
- Potential issues with all Adobe and Creative Cloud applications
- The majority of audio-based software vendors currently advise against upgrading.
For more compatibility information visit support.apple.com.
Helping us to help you – reporting IT issues
If you experience any further issues with Microsoft applications, or any issues with IT computers, AV equipment or software, email or networks, please report the problem as soon as possible to the IT Service Desk. Reporting any IT issues as soon as they arise will allow IT to investigate and fix the problem as quickly and efficiently as possible.
The IT Service Desk is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
- 8am-5pm, Monday - Friday, full service support is available on campus
- 5pm-8am, Monday - Friday, and all day on weekends, basic first line support over the phone is available through our Out of Hours team.
Here’s how to get in touch:
- Visit the IT self-service portal (watch the self-help video for information)
- Give us a call any time, any day on 01202 965515 (Note: our Out of Hours Team will assist with basic first line support over the phone on weekends and between 5pm and 8pm each day)
- Talk to us using the online chat service (8am-4.45pm, Monday - Friday)
- Drop by our service counters in PG16, Poole House, Talbot Campus, or on the 7th floor, Studland House. Lansdowne Campus (9am-5pm, Monday - Friday)
- Talk to our student ambassadors stationed in The Sir Michael Cobham Library Help Zone, 5pm-7pm during term time
- Weekly Wednesday pop-up surgeries in FG20, Fusion Building, 10am-4pm, run by our IT Learning Centre.
Looking for general information?
Search our IT Knowledge Base for self-help and ‘how-to’ guides.